• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cap size for an Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what size caps I would need to buy for my Armi Sport .58 Enfield musket? I was thinking of going and getting them today while I am free so I could maybe use it at some point.

The last 25 years I have used "RWS N:eek: 1081" for both PH and original Enfields .577 of different models. Never had any problems.
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Hangfeyer said:
Thankyou :thumbsup:
Your welcome!
I just love those Enfields!! For the moment occupied with using my PH Enfield m.1858. Using a 745 grain heavy minie bullet. No lube other than dipped in "Break-Free" when loading. At 50 meters Swiss N:eek: 3, 44 grains. At 100 meters 48 grains of same powder.
Do you use round-ball or minie?
Hope you get a nice day!
Regards,

Well, I would love to try minie on mine, but at the moment I only use it for USCW reenactments. It is my first percussion that I have ever owned, and from what I have seen they are really cool guns. I recently started doing cavalry as well, so I will hopefully start to accumulate some pistols as well. If I had the spare change, I would have a Lemat if anything. But they are more expensive than most muskets! So i'll probably have to settle for a Colt Army or Navy.

Where is a good place to buy mimies. 577? also do you use a wad over powder?

arilar said:
Hangfeyer said:
Thankyou :thumbsup:
Your welcome!
I just love those Enfields!! For the moment occupied with using my PH Enfield m.1858. Using a 745 grain heavy minie bullet. No lube other than dipped in "Break-Free" when loading. At 50 meters Swiss N:eek: 3, 44 grains. At 100 meters 48 grains of same powder.
Do you use round-ball or minie?
Hope you get a nice day!
Regards,

ARILAR, Tell me more about the heavy minie, 745 gr is a HUGE chunk of lead! Also why FFFg and not FFg with such a big slug in big caliber?

Well, I only do paper-target shooting and at 100 meters distance that big bullet has made the best groups. When I compete out in Europe (as in Boredaux, France this summer) its sometimes unsecure if at the range they can provide the powder quality I prefer. In Bordeaux they promised to provide Swiss n:eek: 2 (fffg) so therefore I changed from my earlier choice Swiss n:eek: 3 (ffg) this summer.

Latest posts

Back