• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap not tight on nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a CVA .50 percussion pistol made from a kit. Brandy new made.
I tried #10 and #11 caps and the #10's are a bit tighter but not enough to suit me.
The nipple looks stainless.
The question is:
Can I file down the nipple till desired tightness is achieved ? Any issues?
Thanks

What brand of caps are you using. From what I understand, CCI #10 caps are tighter than Remington #10 caps. If you are using the smallest caps you can find, then you may want to try crimping the caps just a smidgen. Before I got the Slixsprings nipples for my Uberti, I had to crimp the CCI #11 caps, but the #10 CCI caps were to tight and didn't seat all the way down.

You would be best served getting aftermarket nipples if you aren't satisfied with the fit or lightly crimping your caps rather than making a permanent change to the nipples.

Here’s some information that I stole from another post on the forum that shows sizes of different caps. From what I understand you can take a small punch or drill bit and wobble out nipple end to make it fit tighter. I’m sure there will be lots of others who will give a better suggestion than mine.

Attachments

• size of Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 224
Remington caps are always loose but just give them a slight pinch and you'll be fine. Seems the caps made in other countries such as the Dynamit/Nobal caps made in Germany are actually a better fit and less likely to jam when used in revolvers.

I tried #10 and #11 caps and the #10's are a bit tighter but not enough to suit me.
The question is:
Thanks
A nipple is usually tapered. If yours is tapered, then filing the end will gain diameter the more you file off. If that is your desire, just do it careful and slow. Never cut into the very small hole closer to the bottom.
Larry

I just replaced the nipples on my CVA pistols. It seems that the CCI # 11 caps are a loose fit. I just pinch them a bit.
I also find that the RWS # 11 caps are very snug, a much better fit.
I guess you could file down the nipple some if you wanted to get a tighter fit with the caps you have.

I was going to start a new thread on this very subject but it mainly consisted of a few questions. Why do caps from different manufacturers vary in dimensions?And another being, Why no industry standard for size? Is there a reason?

"Can I file down the nipple till desired tightness"

Yes you can chuck the threaded end in a drill press and turn the sides down with file and polish with some sandpaper. Or take some off the top to widen it.

If you choose to cut or file down the nipple, be sure to order a couple extra nipples in case some day you find another brand of proper fitting caps that will then be too tight. Or if you decide to sell the gun. One should always have a spare nipple incase it get's dropped anyway.

Loose caps, "pinched" caps are the path to a chain fire. Not particularly dangerous, but will require digging lead out of the rammer plunger and a clean set of shorts.
Chain fires usually come from the back. Find a slo-motion of a revolver being fired and be surprised at the ball of fire from the cap.
Mine did come from the front because of a incompletely formed ball. Just one chamber, but it got my attention.
Bunk

Elkhorse

Am I missing something here, Have you tried a different nipple? On my CVA rifle I have the best luck with a Hot Shot Nipple and RWS Dynamit/nobel caps.
Am I making the wrong assumption, are you taking about a single shot pistol or a revolver? If a revolver ignore above comment and remember that

I am Mad Michael.

Loose caps, "pinched" caps are the path to a chain fire. Not particularly dangerous, but will require digging lead out of the rammer plunger and a clean set of shorts.
Chain fires usually come from the back. Find a slo-motion of a revolver being fired and be surprised at the ball of fire from the cap.
Mine did come from the front because of a incompletely formed ball. Just one chamber, but it got my attention.
Bunk
Here is another article I read on chain fire causes and prevention. It's a very interesting read (along with the rest of his site). His theory, which he has tested extensively, is that sloppy powder handling or poorly fitted bullets causes chain fires.

He intentionally induced or tried to induce them to tease out the likeliest cause(s) of them to reach his conclusions. His explanation about loose caps is pretty interesting, too. He experimented by loading every chamber but leaving every other nipple uncapped. In several iterations of his experiment, he had no chain fires.

Only sloppy powder handling ever caused chain fires for him.

Here is the write-up on his experiments:
http://geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps2Mobile.html

Elkhorse

Am I missing something here, Have you tried a different nipple? On my CVA rifle I have the best luck with a Hot Shot Nipple and RWS Dynamit/nobel caps.
Am I making the wrong assumption, are you taking about a single shot pistol or a revolver? If a revolver ignore above comment and remember that

I am Mad Michael.
Yes you missed something. No I haven't tried a new nipple. Yes it's a single shot pistol a CVA mountain pistol .50 caliber. See original post for my question please.

The question is:
Thanks
I've noticed on this thread (and others) that when you post it's like planting a tree, you get the trunk and many branches.
I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to this thread, so far.

Back