• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap Maker questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the cap maker caps cause chainfires,we would have heard of it long ago. This has been out there for years. And you can also slide the tubing over the cups just as easily as using primers. Helps to seal them and prevent fragments. If you can live with the cost .005 brass makes real good cups.They don't fragment either

I tried the method described in the video, above. The tubing holds the primer well, and it fits on the Remington 1858. The problem I had was that the primer kept the hammer from going forward sufficiently to re-cock the hammer. It worked for one shot, but then tied up the revolver. The hammer must go all the way down to allow the gun to be re-cocked.

ADK Bigfoot

To be brutally honest my concensus is to buy caps from manufacturers.

I bought the cap maker to see if I could and also in a situation where I may have to make them. Shtf type scenario that so many of us play out in our minds.

Cap making is very tedious work its hard if you have arthritis. I'm not even a "old guy" yet , Good Lord willing I'll make it to be a "old guy " one day. Yet even so it was a true pain trying to deal with such a small object.

I have to admit that ,with my hands it gets harder every day to do things. Eyesight not so hot either I can still make powerful percussion caps. Haven't bought any for three years. I do use double layer pop cans for the rifles and .005 brass for the revolvers. I went down the role cap road long ago They did work marginally same for the toy ring caps.. I suppose you can make the pistol primers work with effort. It's trading one expensive hard to buy item for another. I now use the priming powders.Powerful and 100% firing with real black or Pyrodex. Cost is low too.

I've heard it third hand that there is a company in a southern state that is setting up (or has set up) to manufacture primers and caps for the shooting industry. Does anyone have any information about this or is ita pipe dream?

I've heard it third hand that there is a company in a southern state that is setting up (or has set up) to manufacture primers and caps for the shooting industry. Does anyone have any information about this or is ita pipe dream?
Palmetto State Armory is getting into the ammo business. They are looking to first make steel cased Russian cartridges. Yes, they are building an ammo plant, but they know primers are critical component and will be making their own. I haven't heard anything about making percussion caps for black powder shooters.

Fiocci is setting up here in Arkansas. I don’t know when but I did read it in a magazine. American Rifleman I think.

Got my #11 cap die from 22LR Sharpshooter, punched out 100 caps in less than an hour, got better and faster at it as I went along. Used a rawhide mallet I had. Trick is to not hit die punch too hard and I get good caps. Found some .005 copper sheeting and it’s very malleable, and also used a Sprite can, then used a 1/8” punch to flatten bottom of caps. Now the tricky part, filling them with Prime-all compound and seeing how they work. A bit tedious but if they work, I’ll be happy. Down to 100 CCI caps so …..

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
That's pretty cool little tool.I usually tap the die a few times maybe 5 or 6 to get good caps.Have you cleared all the little shavings that build up in the bottom of the tool yet?

That's pretty cool little tool.I usually tap the die a few times maybe 5 or 6 to get good caps.Have you cleared all the little shavings that build up in the bottom of the tool yet?
Yep, got a little buildup but comes right out and brushes off. Saw somewhere on here to find a No. 3 round cake decorating tip at WM to use as a cap funnel. Found one and it’s the best $1.17 I’ve ever spent. Learn something every time I check out MLF.

Finally got around to adding Prime-all to my punched caps. Didn’t find Duco to go with acetone but tried few drops of extra-hold non-aerosol hair spray and worked fine in testing — loud report.
Tapped finished cap on table and compound stayed put. Probably scrimped a bit too much on compound. Going to go with half small scoop instead of a third to see. Getting cap to seat on Renegade nipple is the trick, but that’s my arthritic, less-than-nibble right thumb too.
Now, to check out with powder and patched ball.

image.jpg
On my second attempt at making a small batch. First round was a little thin on total mixture in each cap and may not work so well. Second batch filled about 16 caps. Things I found to be very handy are old cod glass bottle with dropper (Duco and Acetone) bamboo skewer roll cut in half, use pointy end to push cap against side of LP primer tray. Other half using blunt end to pack. Little ear funnel to fill primer cup. Piece of folded paper as a troff/funnel for that last little bit. Industrial face shield just in case. 1.75 reading glasses.

I now use the priming powders.Powerful and 100% firing with real black or Pyrodex. Cost is low too.

When you refer to "the priming powders" do you mean the compounds sold by the 22 guy?
One layer of coke can is .005
And they fit the nipple perfect and shoot great. For me at least.

I just measured a Pepsi can and came up with about .0027.

Back