• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap maker question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I have done a lot of reading on these cap makers from the .22 Reloader company and I think I want to pick one of these gizmos up. I can't decide between the 10 and the 11 though and I cant afford both. I shoot a lot with my uberti revolvers with stock nipples and remington 10 (when I can find them) but I also shoot a lot with my rifles that use 11's! Anyone with experience with these tools have any input for me on which to get. Do the 11's made with this tool fit pretty snug to an import revolver or am I gonna be pinching caps?

I got the #11 and the caps seem to fit well on both my revolvers and long guns. You can always pinch them a bit if they are loose. Due to the crimp design I don’t think they will ever be as snug as a commercial cap.

Edit, by not as snug I mean sealed. They don’t seem to be loose on the nipple.

Last edited:
My Uberti that uses Remington #10s also uses CCI #11s just fine... my .54 didn't until I replaced the nipple. Might wanna post here asking who has what kit and for them to take some measurements to figure out where they fall on this chart...

1665175328799.png

The 11 caps made with the 22 reloader tool can be lightly rolled between your thumb and first finger to make them as snug as you need them. Although dirty and corrosive when using prime all... I don't use anything else anymore. The homemade caps aren't great if u follow the directions but I the way I do it works great for me on my pietta 1851 and traditions cap and ball guns.

The 11 caps made with the 22 reloader tool can be lightly rolled between your thumb and first finger to make them as snug as you need them. Although dirty and corrosive when using prime all... I don't use anything else anymore. The homemade caps aren't great if u follow the directions but I the way I do it works great for me on my pietta 1851 and traditions cap and ball guns.

The Duco/Acetone mixture is the ticket! My scooper is made from a large baking toothpick, a little piece of card stock and a piece of 1/8” heat shrink 1.5 mm long. I use 2 drops of the acetone/glue mixture and leave’em sit for about 24 hrs. I left out the dextrose or whatever it is. I’ll not buy caps again. Right now I’ve got about 500 punched out ready to be charged along with about 700 cci #11’s. Oughta last a while.

I purchased both the #10 & #11 kit and a good supply of priming mix a year or so ago. But I have yet to make a single cap. Even bought some sheets of .005" soft brass and a stack of foil pie plates. So whenever my factory cap supply dwindles down I'll be ready to give it a try.

Back