• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap favorite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roundball2319

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has a favorite cap brand and why? Or if anyone has tested multiple brands and found one better then the rest. I have only used cci caps.

CCI.

Stuff in Remington's falls out, leaving them useless. Find it laying in the bottom of the tin.

Used CCI for many years until the last debacle when they became unavailable. Could get RWS so that's what I have been using the last 4 years. No problems with either one, never had a failure to pop. CCI continue to be difficult to get in bulk at a reasonable price.

CCI has been my favorite but I will buy what's available, I don't have issues with any of the current ones. Mostly I switched to CCI many years ago when I was having issues with CVA caps. Worst ones I ever used but that was many years ago. CCIs seem to fil my guns better than some.

CCI.

Stuff in Remington's falls out, leaving them useless. Find it laying in the bottom of the tin.
I’ve heard of that happening. I’ve been shooting only Remington for a long time now, I usually carry a tin or two loose in my daypack so they get rattled around for hundreds of miles at times, there’s another one or two tins in the console for emergency use, and it’s never happened to me.
btw. Bass pro has them listed in stock again for 8.99...

I use whatever is available. Never found the brand to make any difference, at least as I recall. I have Remington, CCI, and RWS on hand at the moment and they all go off.

Jeff

I had the primer fall out of a few of Remingtons from a tin I bought with some garage sale stuff a few years back and I have no idea how old they were. I just used them up plinking. I've bought newer tins and haven't had a problem with them. I like Remington #10s for some of my revolvers.

I had several older tins of Remington 11s the ones with the gold foil stuff inside and just used them up recently with no problems. Recently all I can find are CCI 11 Magnums and they are doing well also. Honestly I buy what I find on the local store shelves since they are not always available.

Remington or CCI. Some foreign caps have brittle cups and I needed safety glasses but picked brass from my nose and chin. I use what of those I have left to clear the nipples but hold the guns upside down.

I use Remington #11 in my revolvers, #10 CCI for the cap rifles, Remington, CCI US MUSKET CAPS for the ACW rifles.
I have had no issues with any of them and no failures due to cap quality.
The only no-bangs I have experienced with caps were due to a too-short mushroomed nipple on a newly acquired gun, replacing the nipple cured it.

I live in the hometown of Speer/CCI, and so I always buy CCI just to support them.
I can only remember one time I found one that the foil had fell out and allowed the priming mix to fall out too. That's out of who knows how many tins.
While I've never tried any other brand, I see no reason to unless I let myself get low and then can't find any CCI.

Back