• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap & Ball paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipshot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I watched a you-tube clip by Mike Beliveau the black powder editor for Guns of the Old West magazine on black powder paper cartridges. These cartridges use conical bullets and came in period correct packaging. The .44 caliber used a 216 grain heeled conical bullet and the .36 caliber used a 130 grain bullet. He did not give contact information for the guy who makes these cartridges at his request. I know I can make my own home brewed versions but I would like to purchase some of these comercial quality ones. The title of the You-tube clip is:
Shooting Cap and Ball Paper Cartridges.mov
Anyone know of a supplier who carries these?

If these paper cartridges were commercially available, I would shoot my cap and ball revolvers so much more! It would make them so much easier to carry and load for in the field.

Making your own isn't hard its just time consuming and takes a little trial and error as well as a little practice. I haven't made any in a few years mostly because I've had no need to. I used store bought cigarette papers which worked just fine.

Don

Don said:
Making your own isn't hard its just time consuming and takes a little trial and error as well as a little practice. I haven't made any in a few years mostly because I've had no need to. I used store bought cigarette papers which worked just fine.

Don

+1

That's what I do for my ROA.

As for being available commercially, I'm not sure that would work, since we all have widely differing 'pet loads' for our various .44 revolvers.

tac

I shoot a Colt 1851 navy but I thought pyrodex sold solid pellets for the 44.

30 gr Pyrodex pellets by Hogdon are available in .44 and I use them in my Remington. I am not concerned with period correctness and I also use lubed felt wads to avoid slopping messy grease over the front of each ball. Very convenient to load even if more expensive per round than loose powder.

impressive video, thanks for posting.
I carry pre-measured powder charges and Lee conicals that I've dipped in hot lube then cooled before packing into a piece of copper tube. 6 to a length. this for my '58 NA and my ROA

Back