• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap and ball revolvers.What to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is good advice on used Ruger Old Army if it is a preference within budget.

Just saw an as new, fixed sight Ruger Old Army sell at a local gun show for $350 with factory nipple wrench. A well carried adjustable sight one with some cold blue went unsold at $265 asking price.

Lifetime warranty from Ruger for any owner is a plus.

You can also get .45 Colt conversion cylinders for the Old Army.

The only ROA negatives are three piece loading lever which you have to learn to handle when putting cylinder in/out or you may drop the three pieces in the dirt.

Also, newer Old Armies have the warning on the barrel which looks like ?#@*&.

Just my 2 cents. :winking:

you will not shoot .45 colt or as some call it long colt in any 60 army. you can shoot a shortened .45 colt cartage in them.

I think Ernie is wanting to know about percussion revolvers instead of cartridge conversions. I think so anyway. :hmm:
Remington v.s. Colt and caps sticking and such as that.

What size caps are you guys using, have some no. 11`s that are falling off my Colt.
Will be giving a report on my new 58 hopefully this weekend. :)

I use 11's on my remmy because 10's aren't readily available here. Just pinch fit'em.

rebel727 said:
I use 11's on my remmy because 10's aren't readily available here. Just pinch fit'em.
Yepper, that`s what i generaly do to keep them on, maybe they will fit the 58 Rem good, they work great on the Kentucky. :) Seems i read that the Colts takes a no. 10.

Depends of the use.
In Cowboy action shooting (or personal defense) the Colt is the winner hands down.
Remington is slow and clumsy in comparison. The open top Colts are far quicker pointers than even the Colt SA that evolved from them.
Many competitors in CAS use open top cartridge guns for this reason.
I would buy one from Cimmaron Arms in any case, this goes for any Italian repro revolver.
This is based on 40+ years experience owning and shooting the things + working as a gunsmith.

Dan

My 58 Rem came today, fit and finish are real good but as with most the innards need polishing up.
The hand had a bad burr on it, after smoothing it the action is real nice. I like the feel of the 1860 Colt better and this gun is much louder, must be the shorter barrel.
Only fired five balls off hand but it seemed to shoot close maybe low a little.
Tomorrow i`ll bench shoot it and post the results.
This is a Pietta from Cabela`s. :)
58Remington.jpg

First group is about ten in. low, one of those is a jerk shot from the next group. Second group after filing sight is pretty good for a start. My eyes are getting so bad, can`t focus on the front sight it`s all blury.
Shooting a 451 ball over 28 grains FFF with a wonder wad and crisco over the ball.
How many of you guys use a wad over the powder, on the vidio clip on how to load on the cabela`s site for each gun they don`t use a wad. They show a bag of them laying there but i didn`t see them use them.

Remingtongroup.jpg

I always use an Ox Yoke wad over the powder on C&B revolvers. Seems to help clean the bore and they take up some of the space when using light loads.

Happy you like it, I cut one down to carry in the woods before I had ended up in the wheel chair to 2" the muzzle blast would blind you (why cut it ? cause it cost 15 bucks and I wanted a short 44 the Colts cost me much more) Ive wanted to get the short one in 36 with the change cyl till I saw the Walker 45 Colt Long set up... :rotf: fred :hatsoff:

Thanks all, been posting my guns and experiences with them as too add to the topic of this thread.
I`m headed for the 1860 in 44 sp. next. :thumbsup:

Back