• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap and ball revolvers.What to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to your original question about cap fragments... Its not HC, but "cap keepers" eliminate the possibility completely. They are tiny rubber sleeves that go around the cap and keep it on the nipple. Use them all the time and never have these problems... plus there's more to get ahold of to remove the caps.

Legion

I'm with Cherokee Kid. Gitchya one a the Remingtons.
HomieDon.jpg

And remember, don't MESS with Oklahoma!!! :rotf:

I like the looks of the Ruger and have heard good things about them but the cost is a little over my budget.

Do the 58 Rems shoot close to point of aim at 20 yards right out of the box, thinking about ordering one.

The one I have is by Pietta and it does real nice shooting. Plus, you can move the front sight on the Pietta made Remingtons 'cause the post is dovetailed in. Great shooters if ya don't hold them like a Hollywood Gangsta. :grin:
They are real tight fit and finish too. Which you will appreciate. :thumbsup:

Id have to 2nd Cooner but I do like that 5" barrel one also, BUT and this is a big BUT when it comes to point shooting ya cant beat the Colt Navy, even Hickcup ( I think it was ) said that, but thats the word from a lot of handgun shooters, I just play with them, the Colt Walker being the one I shoot most the time. Fred :hatsoff: Hickup,? ah .. :rotf:

Thanks, yep, have to make up my mind about the short or long barrel.
Wonder if the five inch shoots close at 20 yards, anyone have one?

Dad burnit, yer right. I have ta remedy that situation right quick. Thanks fer the tip. :shocked2:

Have both revolvers, a 1860 modell army and a Remington new army, no problems with fired caps and rotation because most caps stay on the nipple and if not they fall down. Both revolvers work pretty good.

I have the Pietta '58 Remington .44 Short (5-1/2" barrel), which has become one of my favorites. I like to keep it on my right hip for strong draw, with a '60 Colt Army crossdraw on the left. (I've just had the Colt so long, I wouldn't feel right without it.)

The short barrel Remington is a good piece. I used to have the more PC version with the 7-1/2" barrel, but wound up with this one and actually like it better. Balance is good, quick out of the leather, and it points naturally and well once you've filed the front sight and done the other little things you've gotta do with 'em. (I shoot my smokewagons with a buddy who likes a .38 sp centerfire and another who uses a 9mm auto sumthin-or-other, and I usually out-shoot them. Well, match 'em anyway.)

Just my opinion, based on my experience. Care in loading and care in care of the piece, and those old smokewagons are surprisingly effective. (I love the look on my pals' faces!)

Of course, they're having dinner while I'm still cleaning mine...

Homesteader said:
I have the Pietta '58 Remington .44 Short (5-1/2" barrel), which has become one of my favorites. I like to keep it on my right hip for strong draw, with a '60 Colt Army crossdraw on the left. (I've just had the Colt so long, I wouldn't feel right without it.)

The short barrel Remington is a good piece. I used to have the more PC version with the 7-1/2" barrel, but wound up with this one and actually like it better. Balance is good, quick out of the leather, and it points naturally and well once you've filed the front sight and done the other little things you've gotta do with 'em. (I shoot my smokewagons with a buddy who likes a .38 sp centerfire and another who uses a 9mm auto sumthin-or-other, and I usually out-shoot them. Well, match 'em anyway.)

Just my opinion, based on my experience. Care in loading and care in care of the piece, and those old smokewagons are surprisingly effective. (I love the look on my pals' faces!)

Of course, they're having dinner while I'm still cleaning mine...
Well i think you`ve helped me make up my mind, i sure like the looks off that short barreld version, thanks pard. :thumbsup:

PitchyPine said:
Do the 58 Rems shoot close to point of aim at 20 yards right out of the box, thinking about ordering one.
No, they usually shoot about 7-12 inches high right out of the box at 20 yards.

Of over 10 C&B pistols I have, only three of them shoot to the point of aim at 20 yards.

It's been said that the pistols made during the Civil War were this way too and the general rule was shoot for the belt buckle.

zonie :)

We`ll find out soon about my new Rem i just ordered. :)
I asked that same question and kinda figured that was the reasoning, aim for bulk and hit somewhere between belt and neck.

Ernie, look into the used market. I see them now and then in the $350-400 range. They're a Ruger afterall, and durability is their trademark. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used ROA.

another thing about the remington. you can get a cartage conversion and shoot .45 colt in it.

bob308 said:
another thing about the remington. you can get a cartage conversion and shoot .45 colt in it.

For the Colt also, if i went to cartridge i think i`d get one of those 1871 Colt conversion replicas, they`er sharp but spendy. :)

You can get a conversion cylinder for the 1860 colt as well and besides I think that the 1860 colt is just as sexy as he** I have two 1860 colts from Cabelas and they are a joy to shoot I use them for target shooting as well as a varmint gun you cant go wrong with a colt. Even if its a reproduction. :grin:

PitchyPine said:
We`ll find out soon about my new Rem i just ordered. :)
I asked that same question and kinda figured that was the reasoning, aim for bulk and hit somewhere between belt and neck.

Load 'er down and fill the rest of the chamber with corn meal and seat the ball flush with the chamber mouth then slap some wheel bearing grease on top. I have never had the wheel bearing grease get hot enough to run. When you load down the shot does not go high. And like I said, the Pietta Remington has the post dovetailed in so you can adjust the revolver to shoot where ya look. Play around with the loads,...it don't take much to get a RB through a piece of paper at 20 yds. :thumbsup: Play around with it and you'll figure it out. And....ya have a revolver that looks like an original Civil War era revolver. That's a plus with me.

Back