• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap and Ball Revolvers vs Ballistic Gel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope people continue to view cap and ball revolvers as toys and not man killers so we can continue to buy them thru the mail
You can thank the Feds for that.
According to the 1968 Gun Control Act, a C&B revolver and pepperbox are not a "firearm" because they use "loose powder" and ball.
They are a "Curio and Relic".
A muzzleloading rifle and pistol using "loose powder" and ball are not a "firearm" either.
I don't know if pelletized powders are considered "loose powder".

Muzzleloaders were exempted from the 1968 gun Control Act because they were not being used to commit murder and other crimes.
No doubt had Sirhan Sirhan,(and/or Jack Ruby) used a cap and ball revolver or muzzleloading pistol, or if Lee Harvey Oswald and/or James Earl Ray, had used a ML rifle, things would be different today.
The fact we can still buy ML's by mail today, is also helped by the fact that the violent career criminals have not started using them.
(I guess those "people" (note quotes) did not pay attention in History Class where they would have learned about ML's being used war from around 1600 to 1870 or so, when the militaries around the world adopted cartridge guns.
(It also probably helped/helps that the stupid bitc--- who bought a mail order gun using her dog's name, and then went public about it, didn't buy a mail order ML using her dog's name.)
(if memory serves, she did get to spend a few years in a cage for her antics, by not giving her real name when she bough that rifle ... I'm 97% sure it was a rifle. ... It's been a few day's. I don't remember for 101% positive if it was a rifle or a handgun.)

Last edited:
Nobody is arguing against those facts. Our ancestors were not silly, and if those guns of that time period did not put a man down, then they would've gone for something that did, perhaps a smaller version of what is called today the Howdah, or maybe they'd a said "nuts" and carried a brace of 20-gauge Howdah pistols. o_O The fact that such revolvers and even smaller "muff pistols" were quite popular and numerous, is a pretty good testament that such were effective. Then as now, effectiveness vs concealablity were trade offs.

LD
if the first shot failed to do the job they had 5 more. that has to play into it

You can thank the Feds for that.
According to the 1968 Gun Control Act, a C&B revolver and pepperbox are not a "firearm" because they use "loose powder" and ball.
They are a "Curio and Relic".
A muzzleloading rifle and pistol using "loose powder" and ball are not a "firearm" either.
I don't know if pelletized powders are considered "loose powder".

Muzzleloaders were exempted from the 1968 gun Control Act because they were not being used to commit murder and other crimes.
No doubt had Sirhan Sirhan,(and/or Jack Ruby) used a cap and ball revolver or muzzleloading pistol, or if Lee Harvey Oswald and/or James Earl Ray, had used a ML rifle, things would be different today.
The fact we can still buy ML's by mail today, is also helped by the fact that the violent career criminals have not started using them.
(I guess those "people" (note quotes) did not pay attention in History Class where they would have learned about ML's being used war from around 1600 to 1870 or so, when the militaries around the world adopted cartridge guns.
(It also probably helped/helps that the stupid bitc--- who bought a mail order gun using her dog's name, and then went public about it, didn't buy a mail order ML using her dog's name.)
(if memory serves, she did get to spend a few years in a cage for her antics, by not giving her real name when she bough that rifle ... I'm 97% sure it was a rifle. ... It's been a few day's. I don't remember for 101% positive if it was a rifle or a handgun.)
I don't thank the feds for anything related to gun ownership lol

if the first shot failed to do the job they had 5 more. that has to play into it
Colonel Cooper once quoted a German Police official after a shooting in which an officer had unloaded her wondernine at an offender. “In the old days, she’d have had to reload her revolver twice!” (She missed the offender all 17 times.) Progress.

Back