• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cap and ball revolver firing bird shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Would it damage a cap and ball revolver to fire 7.5 or 8 shot out of it?
We're seeing an unusual abundance of rattlesnakes near us and I can't find ordinary snake shot for modern revolvers lately.

Rick Hacker mentions this in his book "The Muzzleloading Hunter." In the chapter titled Pack A Pistol he notes how the use of shot in a percussion revolver makes it a more versatile camp or trail gun. Unfortunately, he mentions no specific loads.

Another good reference that addresses this is "The Black Powder Handgun" by Sam Fadala. In chapter 21 - The Black Powder Handgun As Shotgun he does discuss various loads for both revolvers and single shot pistols.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a suitable load. Lots of experience on this forum.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but I don't see how it would hurt the revolver.

However, I do know that a shot load fired from a rifled barrel will spin, scattering the shot in a doughnut-shaped pattern, with a big hole in the middle. I believe the shot loads for cartridge revolvers have the pellets encased in a plastic capsule to prevent excessive spread.

The old-time "trick shots" of the Wild West shows, who broke flying glass balls by shooting with revolvers, had the barrels reamed smooth. I'm pretty sure this is illegal now, at least for breechloading handguns. The "work-around" is to have the barrel modified to a paradox bore, which is smooth for most of its length but rifled for a very short distance near the muzzle. This modification is offered by some of the custom revolver smiths, such as Bowen Classic Arms, and it is said to be legal under BATF rules. The small amount of rifling in a paradox bore is enough to give a bullet some stability, but not disrupt the shot pattern.

I've been tinkering with the idea of having my .50 caliber Lyman Plains Pistol reamed out to a 28 gauge (.55 caliber) smoothbore. Components for the 28 gauge (wads and cleaning supplies) are readily available, and it ought to shoot a patched .535" round ball satisfactorily. The point being, I guess, that if It were me and I were seriously considering shooting shot from a blackpowder handgun, I would think about a single-shot, and maybe spend some time working up a manageable but effective load. I would be willing to bet that a shot load based on the "Skychief" principle would be bad medicine for small varmints and dangerous snakes.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I have heard of people shooting shot out of their revolvers. If im not mistaken a ol boy' named Mannyca on youtube may have a how to video on this very thing. I have never tried it but i dont think it would hurt the pistol.
I disposed of two tumber rattlers and three copperheads last year with my 1851 .44 "Navy" brasser. The brassers get sort of a bad rap but, let me tell ya.. that brasser is one of the most accurate revolvers I have.
Load was always 25-30 grains goex 3f and 454 roundball. Its plent hot enough to send slithery friends to rattlesnake/copperhead heaven!

If i have the oppertunity, I wait until they coil up to make a bigger target. Though thats not always possible so practice is the best medicine in thus scenario. Then off to copperhead heaven they go!

I agree with all of the replies, a ball hitting a head sized target at a reasonable distance is a solution. But so is the shot plan. Personally I like the pistol--loaded-with-shot idea. I can't see soft lead damaging a hard steel barrel. Years down the road maybe a little.

I have had 2 green mohave come after me. Regardless of what "they say" I was there, they will do it. I would agree a guy outta be able to hit a snake with a ball but gotta practice and know the shot/distance. And then theres the hysterical factor. ....yeah I would try shot!
those Mohave Greens are exception to most snake rules. nasty in the first degree.
soft shot shouldn't harm the rifling, though years ago it was discovered it would lead a barrel. i always figured the little i used shot it was a non worry. i used lubed sheep skin as a shot packet for shot in my Walker. have taken grouse with it. should work on snakes. i moved to a place that had no rattlers 30 years ago and never plan to go looking for the Bastids.

Yay! A use for my Walker!
I heard somewhere that a mid weight recurve or longbow will give the snake enough time to strike at the arrow coming at him, which puts the arrow right down his gullet…?!?
I haven’t tried it yet but still I’d prefer a scatter-pistol backup!

Yay! A use for my Walker!
I heard somewhere that a mid weight recurve or longbow will give the snake enough time to strike at the arrow coming at him, which puts the arrow right down his gullet…?!?
I haven’t tried it yet but still I’d prefer a scatter-pistol backup!
Nah... probably not but it sounds good at first. If using the bow I’d use a snaro bird point.

81944906-B26C-4E8E-A72B-E62B019BE084.jpeg
4BF1F54D-4571-4470-AE90-773F66AD0B41.jpeg

Not dangerous to the pistol and will work at close range. The rifling in the barrel, however will give you a spiral pattern with a lot of holes that increase with range.

A standard mid range load, using a wonder wad and a suitably sized gas check as an overshot "wad" will work. The gas check in and of itself can be quite lethal to a snake at the ranges this load is effective, say 10 feet or so max. Even a .36 would be effective at short range, say 6 feet or so, but that is plenty for defending yourself against snakes.

I have even heard there are those that ream out worn/rusted barrels to use them specifically for shot to give a little increased range, For one of the large .44s this might even give you the potential for smaller game like quail or cottontails with appropriate sized shot.

With the rifling though effectiveness is limited and very short range.

Done some work with my C&B revolvers on this and a ton with unmentionables like .357s, etc, and it works, but as I said strictly a very short range proposition, unless t is for popping balloons or something.

Would it damage a cap and ball revolver to fire 7.5 or 8 shot out of it?
No.
But fouling happens quickly, And it's a large "doughnut" pattern even at short range.
Go ahead, experiment freely, there'll be no damage to yer gun,
Just be prepared to be disappointed.

we don't have rattlers around here but with copperheads I just step on one when wearing boots then let the head come out and remove it with a sharp knife.
A technique that takes some practice but it works.
Back on thread
Shot going through a rifled barrel will shoot a dough nut shape pattern so shoot to one side.
In a .44 I suspect 20 grains or so of FFFg and a thin wad the chamber filled with #9 shot and capped with another tight wad or glued down with Duco cement should do the trick. That worked a treat in Samuel' C's unmentionable used on rats in the corn crib.
This may take some testing we shall see.
Bunk

Can shot be used in a revolver and the answer is why not?
The revolver used in this test is a .44 caliber Pietta Marshal 5 ½” barrel.

Testing different volumes of GOEX FFFg powder and equal volumes of # 7 ½ shot the one that gave the best results was a 1.0 cc dipper of powder,(aproximately 15 grain volume) a very thin wad to keep the powder from getting into the shot column the same dipper of shot and a 1/8” lubricated felt wad. That wad was used to secure the load but a thin paper wad and some heavy grease or bullet lube should suffice.

If this would be carried using Duco cement should be used to glue a top wad in place.

At 15 to 20 feet this load drove the shot through both sides of a soft drink can. The pattern seemed to be pretty even. The aiming point was the can center and it was well riddled.
This is what worked for me if you have a better/different idea let's hear it.

After trying seven or eight different combinations this one seemed to be the best balanced but the amount of fouling was phenomenal. It took six soaking wet patches to mostly clear the residue.

If you don’t have a set of Lee dippers, a .40 S&W empty case will be very close to the 1 cc.

It is doubtful that a .36 chamber would have enough volume to be successful, but other than cleaning, there should be no danger.

This was done with real Black Gunpowder I cannot speak for using any of the substitutes.

Respectfully submitted

Bunk

I guess I didn't think about how the shot will stay in one place before firing and not spill out.
Seems like a wad on top of it would not help.

Back