• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

canvas shooting bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How would a canvas shooting bag be? Would it last? Not for anything historical just deer hunting and causal shooting thanks.

Historicly canvas bags are known. It's cheap and if it only gave you two years you could use ten years of bags before you spent as much as a good leather bag cost.

The two I have work fine and hold up pretty well. Occasionally have to resew a pocket or something but that's about it.

I hunted out of a WW2 gas mask bag for years. Only thing I didn't like was the spaps on the cover. They would hold however :grin:

My hunting bag or haversack was made by Wayne Heim from Wisconsin. It is made out of canvas with a horse hide bottom and bone buttons for the flap closure's. The strap is also heavy double stitched canvas.

Been used by me for the last 13 years and has held up very well out in all kinds of northern Michigan weather.

The canvas was water proofed with bees wax and I occasionally apply lanolin to the leather.

A pretty large bag that holds about everything I need for hunting\shooting as well as my lunch.

CanvasHuntingPouch006.jpg

I used one heavily for years, and still have it. Lasted fine. Needed to clean it a little from time to time, but no big deal.
The weight, or thickness of the canvas is important. Of course the military surplus stuff is pretty much indestructible.
The one I referred to earlier is an October Country bag. It is as thin as you want to go with canvas. Any thinner, and there will be problems with it holding it's shape.

Remarkably durable material.

I got one I made about 4 years ago still going strong I made it outta the canvas you get from hardware stores nothing special.

Here is one of the handiest shooting bags I've used, and it just happens to be canvas. I like it so much I've duped in leather.

Even though it's labeled for shotguns, I've never met a rifle that didn't like it just as much.

If you prefer another style, noodle around the other bags listed. There are several other canvas models.

For what it is worth, I made one from a canvas material my wife bought from a local craft store. I've been using it for about 1 1/2 years now.

I have no where the experience of some of these other guys on bags, but I do use mine quite often shooting on my personal range and its held up very good.

Back