• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canvas bedroll

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrap my blankets in an 8x8 tarp which serves as groundcloth or overhead shelter as needed.

I thought someone posted one here a few weeks back???

I done the search thing..... well .

Same results as usually .... at least for me.

I was thinking of making one with ties , so once your in you could close up like a sleeping bag around you to keep your bed dry from condensation .

I just thought maybe someone coukd have a pic they would share . Thanks

Ya, I'd just use a tarp, that way it serves two functions.....
A browse bag would mean more to my bones....

Cowboy bedrolls were bid and bulky, hauled by wagon or horse. They do have their place though....

smo said:
....keep your bed dry from condensation.
The issue with water-proof materials is they trap moisture inside as well as keep moisture from penetrating from the outside. Unfortunately, this means you get damp/wet either way - it's just a matter of degrees...

First of all the things you should DIY, this is on the top of the list. Prices are silly for over-the-counter items.

So, the ones that I've seen that "work", one half is oil-cloth, so it was painted, and the other half was left alone to "breathe". Stopping the moisture from coming up from the ground, AND having a tight weave over you makes a big difference, especially if one only has a single blanket.

So one gets the fabric, then washes it a couple times in hot water and a hot dryer, to tighten up the fabric, then paints half of it. IF you will need to block falling rain, well you will need a second piece, also water-proofed, to pitch over the ground roll, and something like a lean-to helps as it gives an air gap between the roll and the "roof". :wink:

LD

I actually have the PP bed roll and very much like it. Extremely well made and has saved my buns a few times.

I have however oil-clothed the top portion for extra measure.

Colorado Clyde said:
Cowboy bedrolls were bid and bulky, hauled by wagon or horse. They do have their place though....

I always have to chuckle at the thin bed rolls in the movies. Never more then six inches or so in diameter. I have always suspected they were a third of a blanket or so. I watched Burt Lancaster in the Kentuckian recently. One of my favorite movies. Lancaster has a thin blanket roll over his shoulder. Then later he is in camp, the camp is pretty light but it’s amazing how much stuff he has in that roll. :wink:

Crewdawg445 said:
I actually have the PP bed roll and very much like it. Extremely well made and has saved my buns a few times.

I have however oil-clothed the top portion for extra measure.

Crew, does it keep your blankets dry?

Do you use it inside of a tent?

Do you use a cot or sleep on the ground?

Any pics?

Search for Australian swag(s). In their simplist form the are pretty much what you are looking for.

In the song Waltzing Matilda there's a line about a swag man, a guy who traveled with little more than a swag and a billy tin.

I'm thinking Horace Kephart wrote a little about blanket roles.

Back