• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canton Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of a Swiss Canton Sniper Rifle .This gun was issued to the Swiss militia has a snipers rifle it has a 35 inch oct to round barrel and is approximately 16 bore .It is the 1838-42 model made in Bern Switserland by gun maker Schenk
Feltwad

Why has this thread been moved? have I entered it in the wrong forum.
Feltwad

Generally speaking, posts in the Smoothbore, Flintlock and Percussion area of the forum should discuss using the rifle or smoothbore.

Posts that are primarily photos without discussion about shooting or caring for the arm fit best into the "Photos" section of the forum.

You should name that rifle "Baby Huey" . . it's big and fat. What's it weigh? (It is cool though !! )

The gun weighs 10.1/2 lbs it is 16 bore and its weight absorbs the recoil ,I have shot it using a patched round ball at 50 to 100 yards , now it is retired to the collection
Feltwad

Bill
The gun accuracy was good could have been better but I am more of a shotgun shooter than a rifleman .
Feltwad

Now THAT is a lovely rifle. Thank you for sharing.

The third black powder gun I ever owned was a M1851 Swiss Federal Rifle. When I pulled the lock off, I almost gasped at the quality of the parts and fitting of the lock.

Your rifle has the "peg" or whatever it is on the top rear of the butt plate like the M1851. Do you know what it was used for?

Gus

Artificer said:
Now THAT is a lovely rifle. Thank you for sharing.

The third black powder gun I ever owned was a M1851 Swiss Federal Rifle. When I pulled the lock off, I almost gasped at the quality of the parts and fitting of the lock.

Your rifle has the "peg" or whatever it is on the top rear of the butt plate like the M1851. Do you know what it was used for?

Gus

There are a couple of things on this rifle that I cannot explain, the peg in the but plate I thought was for extra hold when fired, but afraid it would be uncomfortable. The other is the brass hook just forward, of the trigger guard what it was there for :idunno:
Feltwad

I have read that hook on the front of the trigger guard was meant to sort of "register" the position of the rifle from shot to shot. It was slid forward until the hook stopped it against the rest or grabbed a branch, etc. That way the rifle was in the same position from shot to shot. Not sure if that is true or not, though.

Gus

BillinOregon said:
You have some wonderful pieces, Feltwad. Thanks for sharing them with us. How accurate was it? Looks so very purposeful.
Bill . do have some more images of this rifle but has you can see photo bucket has disable all of my images
Feltwad

Wow what a beast!
Looks like a shooter!
Thank you for sharing..
Great to see its in good hands..

Mean Gene said:
:hmm: I think you need to put your gun on a diet, it's a monster.
Continental guns like the shutzen are also beefy
Feltwad
Shutzen Rifle

Back