• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can't find black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Still searching unsucessfully for black powder around the Roxboro,NC area. Anyone have any ideas?

Hope I posted this in the right place.

I live down in Asheboro....Take a trip over to Advance (just west of Winston)...Parks & Sons is the Goex distributor...There you can buy it direct and not have to pay hazmat fees...

If you have an interest in history you can visit Old Salem and see the Vogler's gunshop or go to the High Point Museum, currently they have a display of North Carolina Longrifles... :)

Heyoka, I get my powder from the Bass Pro Shop in Atlanta. They don't have it out on the shelf you have to ask them for it. If you have a Bass Pro Shop in your
neck of the woods your in business.

Probably going to end up taking a trip. No one around here has it and I really cant afford to put out over a 100 bucks right now to buy it in bulk on line.

I'd be happy with a pound. Been looking for about a year now. In Texas and now here. A couple pounds would probably last me for awhile.

are you dead set on having black powder? I know that many Academy stores carry Pyrodex equivalent. You see, it's hard to find black powder because the government lists it as an explosive, but they list substitutes such as pyrodex as propellants.

$15 for a 1 pound plastic jar is average around here.

I've shot both and cannot let the difference - they both smell like burning sulphur and they both make the stick go boom.

I forgot you were the guy from Texas that had moved here...If you can't get to the distributor your next best bet is a place called Hills in Raleigh...It's been years since I've been there so I would Google them and call...Raleigh is the largest town to you...

I may have to take a trip to Winston and may also be in Roxboro sometime this summer, if so, I'll shoot you a pm and might can help further...

There is a Bass Pro in Concord, NC and also one over in Norfolk but when I was in Concord a few years back they wanted $20 a pound....This was when it was still going for $12 at the distributor...Both of these are much further than the distributor from you...

If you ask around the shooting range you will probably find others in your same position, the last time I did that I ended up with too many people in need and after we pooled our resources I was worried I would not be left with enough out of the bulk purchase...lol

If it works the same I can live with it. Any ignition issues with it? Not sure there are any academies around here. Might check wal-mart.

Hills in Raleigh usually has some, but on the phone they'll tell you no if you ask :idunno: , you have to go in person. $25 a pound last time I went, have to ask at the counter.

Walmart usually has the subs during hunting season, not necessarily otherwise. Dick's Sporting goods also carries the subs.

Substitutes won't work in a flintlock, by the way, have to use real black powder with flint. Don't know if that's an issue for you.

I also personally think that Pyrodex is much more corrosive than Black Powder. Track of the Wolf will ship you a case of 25 pounds if you are in the market for a good deal of the stuff. I have done this a couple times splitting the order with people in our club and it works out to be the most economical means I have found to acquire the stuff. You can also mix the grades in the case lots so you don't get stuck with stuff you don't want/need.

I have heard of some people having a measure of success putting a starter charge of blackpowder in their flintlocks and than putting a charge of Pyrodex on top. I guess if you have a hard time acquiring the stuff that would be one way to stretch it out, but seems like it would be a lot of trouble. Cabelas also carries it, but you need to ask someone to get it for you.

I shoot layered loads in my flintlocks. To speed things up on trail walks and on the range, I pre-measure my Pyrodex charges and carry them in quick loaders.

For a 65 grain load, I will drop down 10 grains of black powder followed by 50 grains of Pyrodex. The pan is primed with 4F. Works good.

I was given 12 lbs of Pyrodex for Christmas and with black powder so $dear$ here, I use the "free to me" stuff when ever I can.

Sounds like since I have a percussion rifle I wont have any issues with it. No idea if there are any clubs around here. Personally I prefer shooting by myself most of the time on the inlaws land or with someone else. Dont like ranges and crowds.

I hear you about ranges and crowds... but there has to be some local guys you can 'go in with' and this way you could share the burden of buying 5 pounds.

The real black powder is the way to go, IMO.

It seems like a long road trip you would burn up more cost of gas than trying to save $100.

Also: As you know even with the Hazmat fee you can get 5 POUNDS of real black powder shipped anywhere you want for about $100 bucks...

True. Just remembered a guy at a flea market nearby mentioned there were a lot of black powder shooters around here. Have to ask him if he knows where they might shoot. 5 lbs would last me a good while. For some reason wives frown upon you using it to randomly blow stuff up like I did once upon a time.

Winston's not that far from Roxboro, road trip... :)

Or...Plan a romantic weekend in Boone, get tickets to see "Horn in the West"...Leave Friday afternoon about lunch, stop off at Advance and buy what you need...Also, eat at McAdoos and go to the Mast Store there in Boone...

Also, also...Stop by and pay homage to Daniel's statue over near the stadium...

In addition...Squire and Sarah are buried in Mocksville, might want to say hi to them as well....

Will have to check out a map. My daughter is visiting for another week and wanted to go someplace. As far as McDonalds goes.. ack..no.

Back