• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canon identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidnik77

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
could you please help me with any information regarding the below cannon?
It is 1.6 meters in length as you can see in the sketch.
It is probably European made since it was found in Greece.
From what i have read the cannons with a drum like muzzle and not any swell used to be land cannons and not naval, is that true?
From the general arrrangement i guess it's a British cast iron cannon,
any information would be very helpful.

Attachments

• 4-57.jpg
    4-57.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 3
  • canon.jpg
    canon.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
More info. Photos overall and details. What is bore diameter. Any markings on the breech ring, muzzle face or trunion faces. The more you can provide, the better it can be identified. It does look late 18th century and possibly english from your sketch but European is your best guess at this point.

Last edited:
Other than being really cool I couldn't tell you what make or model it is. I do have a question that is do you get to keep it, or does it go to the country where you found it?

Considering the OP's home country it was most likely found in the Aegean sea. Not many lakes in Greece are big enough to need a gunboat.

Hi to all,
LEcook, no markings in any place. Here in Greece we don't have many lakes, all the artifacts are sea.
APG, the archeological ministry is the most powerfull ministry, you cannot do anything without their permission, which is never given to anyone. This one i found it with our team which collaborates with the ministry. If you find something you cannot do anything with it, not even glance it :), in some measure that is good because the whole country is an archeological site, wherever you dig you find something ancient, so the laws are strict to stop the looting. The big problem is that archeologists about modern artifacts don't exist, the more recent are Byzantine archeologists whose expertise is untill the conquest by the ottomans in 1453. So nobody in the whole country knows anything about cannons.
This one was found in the crystal clear shallow waters of the Chalkidiki peninsula in the northern Aegean.

Hi to all,
LEcook, no markings in any place. Here in Greece we don't have many lakes, all the artifacts are sea.
APG, the archeological ministry is the most powerfull ministry, you cannot do anything without their permission, which is never given to anyone. This one i found it with our team which collaborates with the ministry. If you find something you cannot do anything with it, not even glance it :), in some measure that is good because the whole country is an archeological site, wherever you dig you find something ancient, so the laws are strict to stop the looting. The big problem is that archeologists about modern artifacts don't exist, the more recent are Byzantine archeologists whose expertise is untill the conquest by the ottomans in 1453. So nobody in the whole country knows anything about cannons.
This one was found in the crystal clear shallow waters of the Chalkidiki peninsula in the northern Aegean.
To back up what i say about the archeological sites, while excavating this wreck, which is 80 meters from the beach,100 meters away from the wreck where the sea starts they found a classical age kiln with lots of artifacts.

A closer look on the first cannon on the first photo, in the wreck was found a secon cannon which was partially buried so there was a lot of concretion on it. It's the second photo, though it's not a good photo do you believe it's a bronze cannon?

Attachments

• Halkidiki-Wreck-1_960x600.jpg
    Halkidiki-Wreck-1_960x600.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • navagio-fourka-1.png
    navagio-fourka-1.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back