Canoe Alternatives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't know if I said it already, but I found an old Sawyer Canoe and bought it. It's red and the keel has some wear so I am going to fix that and paint it a muted color. Am considering giving it a birch-bark type paint job as well. Something like these...

fghsgrtsfr.jpg
w45yo.com.jpg

Reaction score
Gonna build one of these. Http://unclejohn.com

Patriot
Since I hail from the Louisiana swamps I once decided to build me a pirogue. I did a lot of reading and designed one that was similar to the one in the link above.
When I first tested it I though I had made some serious and grave error. Canoes have two types of stability, initial stability (tippieness) and final stability (going over-ness). My pirogue has both, it practically launches you into the water if you are not careful.
I was depressed!
Then I visited the Louisiana Boat Museum in southern Louisiana. They have a hand-out of jokes about the tippieness of pirogues, such as -
"Cajun boys wink at girls on the shore with both eyes to avoid tipping the boat."
Be forewarned!

Reaction score
I saw a canoe that looked like birch bark. Upon further close inspection it was not. The owner told me he took it to a business that does vehicle wraps. They made up a pattern based on actual photos and wrapped the canoe for $450. The owner said it was a Coleman brand he bought for $150. If you want the authentic look this might appeal to you.

Jim

40 Cal
Reaction score
I seem to recall a reinactor group built a birchbark canoe on the banks of a river, somewhere in the mid-west, using techniques and materials available to Indians.

Upon completion, they launched it . . . .whereupon it immediately fell apart due to the high pollution in the river!

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you!

Tuktu convinced me to get a fiberglass canoe and paint to look like a birchbark one.

I've had the pleasure of being secondary in a couple of these... one was aluminum. If you find a metal canoe. lightly sand the metal then pickle it with a vinegar solution before the primer. It aids the adhesion of the paint.

Latest posts