Quantcast

Canoe Alternatives

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I tried out a used canoe today; a polyethylene one. Thrift store guy let me try it and said it's $180 with the paddles if I decide to keep it.
Noticed it is warped on the side, like it was dropped hard (we talked about it). The bottom is also kind of warped from being strapped down I guess.
Took it to the lake and man, it seemed like a terrible boat! Never felt anything so unstable! Granted I was the only one in it and no other items, so the front was lifting a bit. The seats are, in my opinion, way out of balance, with the back one all the way to the rear, and no adjustment possible. Maybe that was part of the issue.
I've been on canoes before and never felt anything this tippy. I mean, I used to put the canoe in the water with my friend and then step in it. Yeah, needed to watch my balance, but it didn;t feel tippy. I was even in a canoe down in Shark Valley in Florida surrounded by alligators and had a huge gator surprise us sunning just feet away (or better said we surprised him) and he literally dove, his tail almost hitting me and splashing us with water! I mean this guy was maybe an inch from scraping the canoe! That canoe rolled into his dive, but not even close to tipping. This thing today was almost trying to flip with me just paddling slow! I got maybe ten feet from the boat ramp and returned by literally paddling backwards, very carefully!

This is the canoe from today:
IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3082a.jpg

So obviously I'm not keeping this canoe.

He has another one, fiberglass, for $300 with the paddles that I may get:
Resized_20201004_091518_1664.jpeg

Looks a lot better!
Anyone have experience with how these handle?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Since learning to build wood boats I will not even get in a plastic canoe. A well built wood craft has the perfect proportion of stiffness to flex. Imo plastic canoes flex too much and aluminum is too stiff. But it's all about what you like really

Brokennock

62 Cal.
Reaction score
So I tried out a used canoe today; a polyethylene one. Thrift store guy let me try it and said it's $180 with the paddles if I decide to keep it.
Noticed it is warped on the side, like it was dropped hard (we talked about it). The bottom is also kind of warped from being strapped down I guess.
Took it to the lake and man, it seemed like a terrible boat! Never felt anything so unstable! Granted I was the only one in it and no other items, so the front was lifting a bit. The seats are, in my opinion, way out of balance, with the back one all the way to the rear, and no adjustment possible. Maybe that was part of the issue.
I've been on canoes before and never felt anything this tippy. I mean, I used to put the canoe in the water with my friend and then step in it. Yeah, needed to watch my balance, but it didn;t feel tippy. I was even in a canoe down in Shark Valley in Florida surrounded by alligators and had a huge gator surprise us sunning just feet away (or better said we surprised him) and he literally dove, his tail almost hitting me and splashing us with water! I mean this guy was maybe an inch from scraping the canoe! That canoe rolled into his dive, but not even close to tipping. This thing today was almost trying to flip with me just paddling slow! I got maybe ten feet from the boat ramp and returned by literally paddling backwards, very carefully!

This is the canoe from today:
View attachment 46799
View attachment 46800
So obviously I'm not keeping this canoe.

View attachment 46801
Looks a lot better!
Anyone have experience with how these handle?

Thanks!
Generally when solo paddling a canoe, especially if it is empty, I turn it around. I kneel with my back against the bow seat instead of the stern seat bringing me closer to the beam. The stern seat is set further back for better steering when two people are paddling, the bow paddle provides propulsion while the stern paddle steers.

I've got a 17' Coleman canoe like the one pictured. My only complaint is the weight. Way too heavy, but should be very stable with the way the cross section of the bottom is shaped. I'm surprised the one you found seems warped. I've found these to be almost indestructible. Wrapped around rocks in whitewater, pulled off with a truck, replace metal that canyon be straightened, and good to go again. The only time I saw one destroyed was when it got run over and the tire slipped and spun burning/wearing a hole through the material.

Reactions: smo

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
I would run very fast away from a Coleman or Pelican canoe (same thing). They are very cheap canoes IMO.
I have seen many of them warped. I have seen them so badly warped new that the retailer threw them in the dumpster. Just remember, Polyethylene is a thermo formable plastic.

If you are wanting a solo canoe then that is what you need, a solo canoe. You really need to pick a canoe that is suitable to your environment and type of canoeing. You have to take into account things like solo canoeing, gear hauling, type of water you will be paddling, etc. If you are trekking you don't need a whitewater canoe do you ?
Are you trekking alone ?
Will you have to portage ?
Are you on a river (how big) or flat water?
How big of waves to you expect to encounter ?
How experienced are you ?
Are you capable of self rescue ?
etc., etc., etc.,

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Just a note about paddles, If paddles are added to the sale of the canoe they do not add any value to it. A paddle has to be properly sized to the paddler. Otherwise it's like buying someone else's shoes.
I am also particular about the style of paddle I use. Using the wrong paddle makes work out of paddling.

Also remember to carry an extra paddle.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
any thing it the $300.00 class, get it . they don't come in those prices around my neighbor hood.

apachesx2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Only thing I will say is be patient in your canoe quest lots of used canoes in every nook and cranny all across America... And there is huge differences between stability, handling capacity, durability, and handling, even though they may look the same... There also is different types of stability... I am lucky, even though I'm no expert, I was exposed to canoes at a very young age and learned there are vast differences between models...

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got the Sawyer Canoe today. $250.
The guy repaired the keel scratches and gauges with some kind of fiberglass epoxy, according to him. It's still tacky. I am going to wait until it hardens, sand it down, and then run a fiberglass strip along the length.
After that I think I'll paint it with boat paint in "flat dead grass green" which is like a coyote brown.

IMG_3173.jpg

Attachments

Latest posts