Quantcast

Canoe Alternatives

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

troy2000

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice find; that brings back some memories. The old guy featured in the Woodenboat article (and your video) lived in a small town and was easy to find, so I looked up his number and called him a few times: first to tell him I was building one and ask a few questions, and later while I was turning it into a sailing canoe. He got a kick out of hearing from me. During one call he said, "yep, I tell folks I'm buildin' 'em by telephone now, all the way out to California."

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Did you get a title with it? I got a Bill of Sale but to put engine on it in my state, a title is needed. I bought it as a rowboat only, for "exercise variation," but it might be neat to put an engine onto it.
I was able to register it. I also have a canoe with a motor and one with a sail. Only the sail would be period correct. A trolling motor on a canoe is golden.
I have logged thousands of miles in canoes, kayaks, and small boats. Many wonderful journeys, I could tell stories for hours. None of my boats hit the water this year (sad). Maybe next.

Greg Blackburn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Carbon 6,

That is not only impressive but inspiring. There are some truly "hardcore"people on this site and you are one of them.

troy2000

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice find; that brings back some memories. The old guy featured in the Woodenboat article (and your video) lived in a small town and was easy to find, so I looked up his number and called him a few times: first to tell him I was building one and ask a few questions, and later while I was turning it into a sailing canoe. He got a kick out of hearing from me. During one call he said, "yep, I tell folks I'm buildin' 'em by telephone now, all the way out to California."
His name was Wyatt Moore, and I remember him telling me his biographical book had just come out; I assume there was a ghost writer involved. The title was, "Every Sun That Rises," and according to him the quote finishes out, "...shines just for me." I always regretted not buying it. I just looked it up on Amazon, and coughed up $25.31 for a paperback copy. A little late for the royalties to do him any good, but at least it belatedly closes the circle.

He was a likeable old cuss; our phone calls usually lasted about half an hour.

add: just cancelled the Amazon paperback order; I found the book on Kindle for $9.99. If there are pictures involved, I'll probably go ahead and order the paperback anyway...

Last edited:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
European settlers adopted indian boats. Bark, or dugouts, and made some crude copies of some.
I’m thinking ‘canoe‘ comes from A Caribbean language, but gets applied to North American boats including the small birchbark ships they made in Montreal.
Howsomever Europeans were making boats for a long time before coming to America.
We say all sorts of names for boats but I wonder if on the frontier some small ‘canoes’ were floated around by one or two men that we would call by some other name today

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Buy 10 Wooden Boats You Can Build from woodenboatstore.com, for $24.95. It has a reprint of an article for building a Caddo Lake Bateau, from way back when. It's a 16' flat bottomed canoe, with 1x12 sides wrapped around three boards in the center that flare out from bottom to top. The flare twists the 1x12's into forming a fore and aft rocker, and form a bait well and fish well. If you aren't going to use it for fishing, you can cut that down to one board...

It's double ended, with a stem at either end. In the article, the old boy building one finished it in two days using hand tools. I built one for myself years ago in my living room, in a few days after work, and used heck out of it (I was single at the time, so there was no one to complain about the sawdust and wood shavings in the carpet). The original plans called for a solid board bottom, but 1/4" plywood works fine.

Here's a link to a build thread for a flat bottomed canoe I designed (i.e., made up as we went along, based on experience), built as a father/son project before my younger one went into the army back in 2009. It's based on the Caddo Lake Bateau, but fancied up a bit. We gave it a stern instead of making it double ended, and instead of wrapping the sides around bait and fish wells we added frames. We also installed compartments fore and aft, for flotation and storage. But you don't have to get that fancy...

Very nice!
Thank you!
I will certainly consider your suggestions!

Oldbear63

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Being from Louisiana I decided to build a pirogue myself a while back.
It was a summer project and I am glad I did it, but on taking it out for the first time I was a bit surprised at its stability.
I had my mother help me with topping it on my car and after I first tested it on a local lake I took her out for a short trip.
It was one of the most frightening things of my life.
It was horribly unstable. I was imagining the consequences of my drowning my mother.
It though there was something wrong. Then I visited the Louisianan Museum of Traditional Boatbuilding (in Houma).
There I learned that popular jokes among pirogue users are that boys learned to wink at girls on the bayou with both eyes or they would tip the boat. You have to chew tobacco with both sides or you will soon swim.
They have bad initial stability and bad final stability... This means that they are tippy and tend to continue the tip until you go over. I have gone over a few times.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Louis and Clark made boats out a buffalo hide. Also lots of mentions of them making dugouts.

hide boat.png

1 canoe.png

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you!
Tuktu convinced me to get a fiberglass canoe and paint to look like a birchbark one.
OK that will give you a look, but it will have a lot of weight.
If you want the look, and something much closer to the weight, you might want to look at a Geodesic Aerolite Boat Kit. The link is for a 14' version but they come much larger or smaller as you wish.
Geodesic Aerolite Boat 1.JPG

Geodesic Aerolite Boat 2.JPG

The photos are of unpainted canoes, so that the company can show off the structure with the cloth. I have seen one that was painted to very much look like birch bark. The paint added some weight, but it looked like the added weight was worth it.

They are not as durable as a fiberglass canoe, and they are a kit so you have to build it, but are more easily handled and appear to be much less expensive than a finished canoe that you then have to paint...,

LD