• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannons arrived :-)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully no, the last thing we need is to allow such accidents to be broadcast in news - first step to make the legislators forbid any artillery.

There were 3 or 4 such accidents during the last 6 years, one of them was caused by a faulty carriage (cannon detached from carriage) rest by failing trunnions, in one case the barrel travelled 3 metres to the back

please be careful

Hi
Thanks for the info :) I have a friend who is experienced in the cannons and has made his own carriage which works great and he will be helping with mine to make sure it is up to the job of supporting the weight and recoil from the cannon :)
Once I get it back from the proof house I will inspect the trunions and welds after every shot and if I see any evidence of cracking then of course I will stop using it immediately.
I will be careful :) and as we do with the other cannons once the fuse is lit we step back and away from the cannon so no one is close to or behind the cannon when they go off.

Rick

Be advised. All back yard gun makes, owners and users. You are liable for anything that happens with your gun no matter when or how stupid the person shooting it is. I am posting a pix of what you are dealing with as soon as I figure out how to do that on this list. I have 4 liability policies to cover my ass as I have a crew of 40 people that play on my guns through out the year. Cannon are noting to play with without having a very healthy respect for them.Stay tuned. Boat’s

So we shouldn't shoot our cannons because we are stupid and uninsured, but it is okay to watch you shoot yours because you are an expert and covered.

That is an interesting idea, I can hardly wait to see the pictures and may I be the first to welcome you to the forum :thumbsup:

Looks good, small bore fun cannon...should outlast us all in my 2cents worth. :hatsoff:
In practice, shooting a ball, allow wind age, no patching. Not as accurate, but lowers pressures, as in my 2-1/4 bore, shooting was the fun...accuracy was a byproduct of cannon fun....
I did the same trunnions fixing, and on a 1" bore, would shoot lead bolts, 2" long....from a metal carraige, the trunnions bent, never came loose :doh: :surrender:
Of coarse I was 19 and hid behind a dozer every time I shot loads like that....... :rotf:

Nope....don't recommend shooting such loads, but that 1" was a beefy lil gal......lost it in all my moves.....fun!

Stay safe

Hi All
Hell yes my cannon passed its proofing today :blah:
Here is a couple of pics :)
Cannonproofmark.jpg

Cannonproofmarks.jpg

Rick

Hi
All I need to do is finish the carriage then I can get it down the range to start working a load up for it :)

Rick

Did it get a serial number? Last time I got something proofed he insisted on giving it a serial number :thumbsup:

Hi
Yes it has a serial number :) he said before he did anything to it I had to choose a serial number!
The engraving machine they use is clever :) he set all the marking and numbers in a cradle then pushed the tip down while he was following the letters/numbers and it copied it perfectly :)

Rick

Hi arnoi
No the 100gns if safe working load :)
it was proofed at 200 grains of black powder :)
I told him I would be using 100gns max and they double it and that's what its proofed at, this is done in case the operator double loads it! not that it should happen but you never know :)

Rick

ricky5042 said:
this is done in case the operator double loads it!

A cannon needs a name, I suggest you call this one Banquo :thumbsup:

As cannons overcharg'd with double cracks;
So they doubly redoubled strokes upon the foe;

Hi All
I will keep you all up to date when I get a mould sorted out then I can fire it :) il try and remember to get it on video for you :)

Rick

Hi
If I think the guy who made it said it was standard steel bar, and if I remember there was yellow paint on the end of the bar!

Rick

Do NOT blow out your grandmothers new front windows either,but your allowed to keep the piece that the fire marshall brings to you when he asks "is this yours" :redface: :nono: :grin:

Just ask my marine cousin,Grandma,i got it covered don't worry!! Now he is a Lt.local PD.. :surrender:

Latest posts

Back