• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cannoning illegal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that muzzleloaders are exempt from federal laws BUT are they "firearms" under State/federal law??

Fwiw, I "was pinned to a badge" for 30+ years & I agree with you on the ignorance of many LEO on firearms law.
(A large part of the reason for that ignorance is how COMPLICATED & HOW MANY laws/ordinances/needless regulations that there are.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
I know that muzzleloaders are exempt from federal laws BUT are they "firearms" under State/federal law??

They are not firearms under Federal Law, but some States consider them as firearms. New Jersey has some laws like that, for instance. So one has to check for one's State and any state one travels to with them.

Gus

Arizona, one of the most liberal States in the Union when it comes to gun laws considers all muzzleloaders and cap & ball pistols to be firearms.

It makes no difference whether the gun was designed in 1630 or 2016. They are firearms and all of the laws dealing with firearms apply.

The city and county laws dealing with firearms agree with this thinking so if you fire your muzzleloader or C&B pistol in your back yard in Phoenix or Flagstaff (or any other city that has laws against shooting in the city limits) you can be in for big trouble.

Yes, and interestingly in The People's Republic of Maryland, they use the Federal definition, so any replica of an antique firearm is also an antique.

However, that didn't stop a prior Attorney General in the state from having reenactors arrested when they went to schools to give historic talks carrying either a ACW rifled musket or an AWI fintlock...even though the AG KNEW it was not in violation of the law. He had them arrested, but the charges were dropped in court...., so, "on three"... "one, two, three, ABUSE OF OFFICE!"

LD

I made a bowling ball mortar about ten years ago and it sure is a crowd gatherer. I often bring it to our territorial matches to shoot off at the Saturday night barbecue.
It has a 27 inch tube,screw traverse from 17 degrees to vertical and is mounted on an iron sled with a glue lam platform.
The whole deal weighs about 250 lbs when loaded and charged.
It is lanyard fired from a musket cap and nipple assembly.
Flight time at 35 degrees is 16.5 seconds and it will lift the ball just about out of sight before it turns back to earth.
1500 grains of Cannon grade BP is the usual charge and no wadding is used of any kind to eliminate embers.
The range is nearly half a mile best I can guess but have not actually taped it out.
Now that I have a 1200 yard range finder I will get an actual reading one day.
The finger holes really whistle on the way down.

Deer hunting is legal and encourage in the state of Illinois. I have 16 acres that is populated buy many. My town does not
ban hunting is the text of our local law. It does ban the firing of any projectile at any animal and prohibits the discharge of firearms. If you are caught shooting anything else, BB, arrow, slingshot it's a $100.00 fine. Fire a gun and you get arrested.
Our locals figured how to one up the state on this point.

I don't know of any town that openly allows the discharge of a weapon within city limits, without some kind of restriction.....And if I did I wouldn't want to live there....Despite what you see on television, walls don't stop bullets...

The Yarmouth Minutemen always get written permission from the Principal when we bring our muskets, swords, etc to schools. A couple of weeks ago at a high school we could bring cannon, muskets, swords, axes, knives, but for some reason not bayonets!

Yep, when there is an explosion, or even worse, a series of explosions, the cops come. It's what cops do. That is especially true in a heavily populated area such as in town or near a housing development. Several years back, I made a carbide cannon out of 4 inch PVC pipe. It could make a pretty good noise. Sure enough, the cops showed up and were pretty serious about what I was doing. One of them began to tell me the penalties of discharging a firearm within the city limits. I pointed out to him that it was not a firearm. That resulted in a discussion between the two cops who were there and they had to make a couple of calls to the station for clarification of the device that I had been using to make the big booms. They finally decided that they would not cite me for discharging a firearm within the city limits but were going to issue a warning for disturbing the peace and told me to put up the "cannon" and not fire it any more within the city limits. After the professional part of their visit, one of them took an interest in my device, asked several questions and said that it looked like it would be fun to play with. I told him to come over one day and we would take it out in the country and fire off a few rounds. He said he would like to do that but he never did.

Another story. Several years back, there used to be a muzzleloading range and gun store in Pasadena, Texas. It was a huge store and sold all kinds of muzzleloading rifles and equipment. One day, they got in some Coehorn morter replicas that were capable of firing soda cans filled with concrete. The owner had never fired or even seen a morter fired and wanted to see what one would do. One evening when no one was using the range, they took one of the morters out to fire it. Neither of them knew how to charge a morter so they looked at the big bore and decided to just pour in some powder. According to the owner, they put in about a pound of powder, stuffed in a soda can filled with concrete and lit it off. There was a huge explosion and they never did know where the can landed but the noise brought the cops. They knew the cops would be coming so the quickly hid the morter. When the cops got there, both said that they too heard the noise and wondered where it came from. The source of the noise was never discovered and the owner of the store decided to not fire the morters any more, just sell them. Within a matter of a few weeks, all 4 or 5 of the morter replicas were gone. Someone was having fun with them.

That range and store in Pasadena are gone now. Too bad, it was a great place to shop and shoot muzzleloaders.

Back