• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cannoning illegal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevymankyle

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I had the cops come a couple times because of my cannoning, the next day I only found that music amplified is illegal but fire arms and blasting is exempt. Where do I stand as a cannon enthusiast that wants to make noise every once in a while? I'm in Washington.

It all depends on the State laws, the County laws and the City or Town laws where you want to fire your cannon.

All of the laws apply so even if the City or Town laws don't forbid something if a County or State law does forbid it, the County or State law will be the one that applies.

It's best to check with all of them in your State rather than ask a bunch of people on the net for an opinion.

Sounds like the town, county, city, suburb, or whatever you live in has a noise ordinance....

Best thing to do I take it somewhere that doesn't have an ordinance to shoot it...

Cops usually don't enforce such things unless someone complains....like neighbors....
The last thing you want to do is start pi$$in off your neighbors. That usually ends badly...

I always invite both the neighbors and any local law enforcement to come shoot cannons with me. Everybody is enthused and no one calls the cops because they are already there.

Good strategy.....Every 4th of July we would do our own fireworks show....all the neighbors enjoyed it. One year a cop from 25 miles away saw it and came running....Apparently he wasn't briefed on our permits.. :haha: He was by the time he left........ :haha:

Got to fire my 1.25in cannon on July 4th last, in a small city right next to city hall. I was one of 2 cannons that weekend, the other one was 1.5in bore and had no problems, my because we were invited. Will there this year, and might have a civil war 12 pounder this year as well. :surrender:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't any trouble firing my 1" swivel gun any time I want. Of course I live out in the country and not in the city. We have several civil war events near us and we have never gotten any permits to fire a cannon. I guess it depends on where you live and in which state.

The town that I used to live in had an ordinance against fireworks in the city limits, but it was sort of relaxed around the 4th and New Years. There was also an ordinance about discharge of firearms, but no mention of artillery. Not too sure how that would stand up in court if it came right down to it though. There is a fine line between "Attractive Nuisance" and "Destructive Device".

Part of the problem is that they don't know it's you and your cannon until they arrive. Your neighbors can say "I heard an explosion" or "Somebody is firing a gun at me", and they have to roll in to check it out. Non-gun people are some of the most excitable folks on the planet. Like sheep who think anything that isn't a sheep is a predator, Sheeple think that anything that might be a gun is a nuclear based, weapon of mass destruction aimed at them.

LD

Good point, LD.

It is also a good idea to call your local law enforcement agency or Sheriff's Department and alert them when you intend to fire, about how long and how many shots you will fire and call them once you are done. This can save some hasty explaining to LE Officers who don't know WHAT you are doing when they show up near you. Needless to say, they would be a bit nervous and/or upset and you don't want that.

Gus

Pete G said:
The town that I used to live in had an ordinance against fireworks in the city limits, but it was sort of relaxed around the 4th and New Years. There was also an ordinance about discharge of firearms, but no mention of artillery. Not too sure how that would stand up in court if it came right down to it though. There is a fine line between "Attractive Nuisance" and "Destructive Device".

Luckily the police around here have a good deal of leeway, "officer's discretion" is what the chief calls it, on whether or not any the officers need to take action on something they see that is actually illegal. Fireworks on the fourth are illegal, but the police only care if someone calls and complains. Discharging an airsoft gun within town limits is also illegal, however officers have driven by my neighbors with the kids running around the neighborhood carrying airsoft m4s and such shooting at each other in an airsoft war and the police don't even give it a second glance. I am pretty sure though that they would say that cannons were way over the line. :grin:

EXACTLY.
(However since I live literally across the street from Ft Sam Houston, where cannon-fire is commonplace, I suspect that the SAPD/BCSD/Constable's office would assume that the post is the source of cannon-fire.)

Soldiers on FSH even fires 105mm howitzer salutes for Fiesta San Antonio, as well as cannon salutes for essentially every major holiday.
(FSH's staff recently fired a 21 gun salute in memory of The Fall of the Alamo & for MAJ Audie Murphy.)

yours, satx

rj morrison said:
not true city and town ordinaces superced county laws. state laws superced both.
If you reread what I said I think you will find that we totally agree.

It all depends on the State laws, the County laws and the City or Town laws where you want to fire your cannon.

All of the laws apply so even if the City or Town laws don't forbid something if a County or State law does forbid it, the County or State law will be the one that applies.

It's best to check with all of them in your State rather than ask a bunch of people on the net for an opinion.

Note that I was saying even if city or town laws do not say something is against the law, if the County or State laws say it is, then it is.

To All,

Is a muzzleloader consider to be a "firearm" under TX and/or federal law??
(Maybe that sounds like a silly question but here in The Alamo City it may NOT be, inasmuch as the city ordnance forbids discharging a firearm in the city limits, except in self-defense situations.)

In some places that I was stationed during my career, traditional muzzle-loading weapons were NOT considered to be firearms/weapons & were therefore: UNREGULATED.

yours, satx

Traditional Muzzleloaders are considered exempt from the Federal Firearms Act:

18 USC 921 (a)(16). (Exemptions.)

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -- (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

However, individual States down to local governments may and have put further restrictions on them. So it is best to check State and Local Laws.

Also, even if the ML guns are exempt in one's area, you still may run into a problem discharging them in towns or cities; due to noise control or public nuisance ordinances.

Gus

P.S. to the above.

I hope I do not offend any LEO's on this forum or anywhere else, BUT I can't tell you how many times I have personally seen LEO's give wrong to completely bogus information on firearms laws, all over this country. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of LEO's really have good knowledge of firearms laws and ordinances.

So if you want to get the best scoop, then write or email questions to your State's Attorney General and County and/or City Attorney's Office to find out exactly what is legal in your area. It is also best to keep copies of those communications.

Gus

Back