• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannoneers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnwilliam

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this one, so I reckon this is as good a place as any.

How many on this list shoot cannon? My wife and I shoot a six pounder - no shot - at the Battle of New Orleans (1815) reenactment.

And related to that: how many would be interested in a Forum for cannon?

Capt. William

I have a small mortar that I play with. If it loads from the muzzle and uses black powder I am interested. Would be interesting to see a special catagory for cannons.

I shoot a full size Second Model King Howitzer as an Artillery Officer for the Legion Of The United States
102_0271.jpg

And several smaller scale models just for fun

Andy

Half Tail and I jointly own a cannon. It's .75 cal and we shoot 120grs. ff goex. We take it to several rendezvous that we attend, usually wind up getting our butt whipped by the bigger ones, but it's a crowd pleaser. I'll see if I can get 1/2 tail to post apicture. :thumbsup: Don't laugh about the small caliber ,it's easy to get "cannon balls" we get our friend who has a Brown Bess to run the lead for us

I guess they can call us Little Cannoneers.Better than being called Bigears! ::
Here is a pic....
2CannonShots.jpg

Here is a shot of ours along side of a friends....
Ryanmechris9.jpg

Soggy and Haftail, that is a cute little piece! And you actually shoot live ammo? Pray tell us about it: where'd you get it, cost, what range the ball travels to, etc.

Capt. William

Rifleshooter, your carriage looks like a fancier version of the one we use. Not ours actually, it belongs to the National Park Service. There are four pieces at the Chalmette Battlefield; two authentic 18th century pieces that are never fired, and two reproductions that are.

Capt. William

We do a bit of both live and re enactment shooting. Our main event is a 21 gun salute in honour of the Queens B/D - 21st Apr. I'll attach some photos when I can find the instructions ???

Capt-William; I'll answer some of your questions, Haftail can fill in any details that I might miss.
Shoot live ammo? You bet we do, like I said we shoot a .690cal lead ball patched with .018 pillow ticking, on top of 120 grs, FF powder. The longest shot that we have attempted in compition is about 200 yds. that was a 45 gal. oil barrel, and we can hit that with ease, I believe that Halftail has shot over open water and the distance was considerably more.
The cannon was made from a piece of 3-1/2" steel that was an axel on a large drum used aboard a fishing boat. The walls at the breech area are 1-3/8" thick. The over-all lenght is 20". We feel that this is more than thick enough, considering that we are shooting the same load the some people shoot in a Brown Bess.

As for cost , well we scrounged most of the materials, however it did cost $ 100 to have the bore drilled on a machinest lathe. I built the carriage out of material that I had around my shop. You can't tell from the photo, but the wheels are built entirely of wood.
It's not entirely P/C cause if you look closly you will see that it has a percussion ignigtion system, and part of that is constructed from a muffler clamp :crackup:.
I guess that covers everything, except I can't begin to tell you how much fun we have had shooting it over the past few years.

I see that Halftail has posted pics. The brass cannon in the background is an actual size reproduction of a Dutch 6 pounder. This was built by an aquaintance of ours , and he is a sticker for detail, unlike us. LOL :crackup: (right Half-tail ?)
Soggy

Capt William,
Here is a better photo of ours and the Bigger one.
BigunLilun.jpg

Like Soggy said ,our friend is a real stickler for detail and his Dutch repro is amazingly accurate with devastating effects on the target and anything in its path.

Well while I'm at it here's another.....Last one too I promise....
Morebigcannonpics.jpg

You guys got me on a roll.I'm caught up in a Cannon frenzy.... :: :redthumb:

Rifleshooter,
I'd love to join your gun crew!! ::
Just a little far for me that's all.I was on the gun crew one night with the big gun in our pictures.What a blast!!!!The 4 ounces of powder under the soupcan full of cement really shakes things up.Waht do you shoot for a load in yours?

So - other than the gobble de gonk in the FAQ - how do you post a picture with your post. I dont have a web site - only pics in - my pics.

Musketman,

The fact that the topic of Cannons - and please note the number of views and responses we've been getting the past few days - admittedly DOESN'T fit in well, either with Smoothbores, or Pre-Flintlock, shows that it needs a topic section of its own!

:agree:

Capt. William

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn how many cannoneers are actually shooting live projectiles! :applause:

Capt. William

shooting live projectiles!

Shooting em ain't the problem.......... it's cleaning and cooking em that gives us the fits. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
Soggy

Back