• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cannoneering classes for cannon noob?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an interest in civil war cannoneering. The really mean 12-pounder Napoleons in particular. While I am not in a position right now to own a cannon of such magnitude, I was wondering where one would go to get hands on instruction on how to safely operate one of these bruisers? I imagine a lot of things translate over from ml rifles, but the devil all seems to be in the detail, and I am particular with my body the way it is. Thank you.

How much money does it cost per shot for the cannonball and powder?

I have nothing full scale, but I guessing with projectile and powder you could be looking upwards of 30.00 or more a shot.

I would suggest you start smaller than full scale. Most Full scale Cannons were manned with like a 5 or 6 man unit.

I am building one currently that is full scale. But it is a Hughes Breechloading Confederate Cannon. So it is rather small originally. Around 33 inches tall and the original bore was only 1.5 inches. I have made 1/4 and 1/3 scale prior to tackling anything larger. Good way to learn is starting at small.

You would be best to go sign up on the Graybeard Outdoors Cannon Forum. That is a great place to learn.

carbineone said:
Most Full scale Cannons were manned with like a 5 or 6 man unit.

thank you. I was under the impression that the crew size was due to transport and efficiency of operation under battlefield conditions, is there any reason why one person could not perform all the tasks themselves under less stressful circumstances?

training included 'service by decreased crews' down to 'service by two'. The weight of the gun would put a strain on your hernia trying to train it by one. 'Don't have a hernia...you would :haha:

All the other post could be done by one man. For most of the loading the crew stand around while the one person dose his job. They sent a crew to move fast but also to absorb casualties.

I would suggest that you try to find a civil war group near you, they are a good source of info and can help you with the big guns. I have worked with 2 full size(one 3in 12pound and a 2.5in bore)and have even fired one. We run with a crew of 5 mainly for safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the N-SSF web site for a bunch of the operating and safety information, and yes, attend a re-enactment where cannon shooting is part of the protocol. It's a lot cheaper to join a unit that already has cannons than it is to start one yourself with your own $12,000 field piece. Storage and transport to and from your home is another issue to consider. A 12 pounder is going to take up a full garage stall, and a winch to get on the trailer. The tube alone will weigh well over 1000 pounds.

Generally, on any full-scale cannon it takes at least two people to load, one doing the loading and the other on the thumbstall.

For what it's worth, the National Park Service runs a historic weapons training course, which is open to both NPS employees and the public at large (classes limited to size). NPS certification is increasingly being required on both NPS and State parks around here, with one guy in the unit certified to oversee the demos. It might be worth looking into, I know several people that have the certification and they say it's very thorough, and well worth doing.
http://civil-war-picket.blogspot.com/2014/03/nps-black-powder-course-teaching.html

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than that, beg, borrow, or steal a copy of the "More Complete Cannoneer" by M.C. Switlik. It's out of print, but possibly available through interlibrary loan. Anyone who plays with cannons should be required to read it.

Rod

Again, go to the Graybeard Cannon Forum, if you really want to learn about safety, safe procedures, proper loads, proper construction.

Absolutely the most informed people on the subject on the internet.

They do not hold back. If you are doing or attempting to do something Darwin award like they will tell you.

Four most important things are safe procedures, proper loads, safe equipment, and good old common sense..

Follow that and you would be fine.

At 90% of civil war reenactor events guns crews or their gunner are certified. Several gunners or owners are even certified instructors. If your serious about learning cannon up coming in May at Hartford City In. beginning the 13th. Just south of Ft. Wayne off of 69. Is a civil war event that kinda starts off the season. I know of several gun crews who will be attending. Matter of fact part of our Infantry Unit 11th Mo. will be there in support of the Kentucky Volunteers who transport and man 3-4 cannon. Including a 20# parrot which fires a pound of powder per shot.

Back