• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions 69 cal. that came without tools. Sponge, worm, rammer, etc. Does anyone make these tools or the parts to DIY?

Last edited:
I've got the same cannon and mine was missing the sponge. As far as I can tell, these Spanish cannons came with a brush and maybe a sponge - or was it another brush? I bought a 12 gauge swab, but had to buy a tap to be able to mount it.

They didn't come with worms, so I'm making one custom.
I haven't seen any real cannons with the rammer, swab, and worm mounted the way the Traditions set them up - over the top of the axle. Eventually I'll make some mounts to scale, and run them below.

I'm missing one of the tool boxes. Any of you know where I can source a replacement?

Captndan - I could make replacements for you, but my time would probably work out to a buck an hour. Hard to get me motivated for that, except to complete the one I've got.

Use the same cleaning tools it takes to clean a .69 musket.

Making a ramrod with 10/32 tips is a cakewalk.

Patches are patches.
Yup - that's the way to go. I found the 10 gauge mop and didn't know of one in .69 caliber. I do like what I got and am happy with it.

My cannon's rods are 3/8" dowel, so normal ends will work. If you need any dimensions, let me know.

You'll have the added step of making the rammer for the other end of the rod, which is a .69" round wooden cylindrical end to the rod.

Dude said "Yup - that's the way to go. I found the 10 gauge mop and didn't know of one in .69 caliber."

Sorry, meant to say it's a 12 gauge mop. I guess it's a standard thread for shot guns - 5/16-27.

Back