• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon Shooting in Oregon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticster

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am a new member and I am building a full size Mountain Howitzer. I would like to know if there is anyone or group in Oregon that shoots cannons. I would like to know how to shoot this without losing an arm. Thanks!

Tic: There is a loose confederation of cannoneers active in the PNW. I ran into them quite by accident several years ago as the wrapped up a Labor Day weekend shoot at a ranch in Eastern Oregon near Fort Rock. It's something like the PNW Light Artillery Volunteers or some such. Good bunch of guys and some very accurate guns. If I find the business card I will post.
Maybe DD will see this and add something.
By the way, welcome to this fine forum. All of the cannon guys I have met are very concerned about safety.

I am aware of a group in Oregon...Contact BoomLover over on GBO. I think he shoots with them.

I don't have any contact info for them

Boom lover is in Port Orford. I contacted him and asked him to drop in here and share his knowledge about the group shooting over in Bend.

I got my start Cannon shooting down in Port Orford.

Did more cannon shooting at the labor day shoot at the Josephine County Sportsman's Association Range. I understand they no longer allow cannons at the range.

Douglas Ridge at Boring at one time had a very active group of cannon shooter . Don't know the status of shooting cannons at the club.

Really In response to BILLIN OREGON.

Try Peter Hoyt, JEFFERSON ARMORY, located in Phoenix, Oregon. He has a web site for Replica Artillery that he creates. On his site are pictures from a cannon shoot, at the Josephine County Range in Merlin, Oregon. He may know of other cannon shoots in that area.

Ed, as far as I know DD is right; they no longer allow cannon shoots at the Josephine County Sportsman Park. They used to have a great cannon shoot over Labor Day when the Jed Smith Rendezvous was still alive, with accuracy shoots as well as the crowd-pleasing bowling ball mortars spitting those old Brunswicks up onto the flanks of Walker Mountain. But that was 20 years ago or more, if I recall ...

My wife bought me a pair of wheels for christmas so my next cannon project is a field carriage for my 1/2 scale Napoleon. I've shot it for the last 8-10 years on my version of a quick and easy naval carriage cause it was easier to build. If that works ok then there's a couple of 1/3 scales in line after that.
Bob

In Northern Nevada myself and would like to know what happening up north or west of me if any one knows of any groups on the west coast or anyone who shoooting

BillinOregon said:
Bob: I'm not Ticster, but I am building a 1/4-scale mountain howitzer and I am in the Rogue Valley.

Bill - we've GOT to meet up next time we are over, if you care to.

We spend a lot of time with friends just outside Yoojeen, and thanks to their near-overwhelming generosity, use their house as a base to futz around in the lower left-hand quarter of OR. We also base ourselves down in Port Orford [often using Crazies as a meet-up point].

Best for 2012!

tac. mrs tac, ig & The Cannon Beach Boys

BillinOregon said:
Tac: That sounds lovely. Port Orford is particularly charming. My wife and I like to beach comb and look for agates. Keep in touch when you are ready to cross the pond.

Port Orford, lots of memories there. My kids-both in their 40's, still remember going to the Knapp Ranch at the mouth of the Elk River and looking for "seagull turds". Sitting on my kitchen counter is a mason jar full of them.

standard.jpg

Some good cannon shooting there---fired my cannon from Battle Rock, last person to do that before me, was Tichenor.

BillinOregon said:
DD: Thanks for the collecting tip!
How did you manage to fire a cannon at Battle Rock and avoid detention by the authorities?
:rotf:

Well two ways Bill, first I was the Authority.

Second and the real reason. My cannon was fired as part of the Port Orford 4th of July jubilee celebration and the re enactment of the battle of the Rock.

Crazies? Never heard of it?

The place to go in Port Orford was Bartlet's Cafe or Orford's Restaurant...of course the last time I was in Port Orford was in 1988.

I'm 950 miles away, now. Although next summer I may do a drive through on my way from Medford to Florence to see my dad.

DD said:
Port Orford, lots of memories there. My kids-both in their 40's, still remember going to the Knapp Ranch at the mouth of the Elk River and looking for "seagull turds". Sitting on my kitchen counter is a mason jar full of them.

standard.jpg

Some good cannon shooting there---fired my cannon from Battle Rock, last person to do that before me, was Tichenor.

Bill, just got off the phone with the daughter and we talked about this. We had a laugh over some good memories. She did pass this piece advice about agate hunting the Elk river on the Knapp ranch. Start looking in river edge as soon as you get to the gravel bar and start walking towards the mouth. She said be sure to look as you walk down and walk the same path back up the river from the ocean. Oh and most important she said don't pick up the squishy ones.

She also remembered shooting the Cannon from Battle rock.

That has to be at least 30 years ago.

Crazies? probably Crazy Norwegians on a guess.
We always stop at Port and Starboard when we are in Port Orford.
Bob

Latest posts

Back