• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Project Underway

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am getting ready to get my cannon project underway. I just picked up a .30cal piece of an old target barrel. the barrel itself measures 1 1/4 diam x 16 1/2 inches. Am planning to make 2 8inch cannon or there abouts.
I was thinking a napoleonic field piece should be fairly easy. Nice straightish lines. nothing to fancy. But this being my first time building, and knowing nothing about them, can someone point me in the general direction of plans for a carriage? this is what I have so far.

I have the barrel and breech(consisting of a square piece of 4140 steel (same as rifle barrel) that I will turn to same dimension as barrel after breeching it {the barrel}. Then I plan on shaping the whole thing using files, and sand paper ....just kidding!! its going on a lathe. :haha:

Is there anything I am missing? at least for the beginning ...seems that breeching is the most complex task...for now , which will be done under the watchful eye of a friend who is a gunsmith. But I could be wrong. feel free to offer any advice. oh yeah...I am also keeping the caliber at .32 since this is the first one I'm building.

I have never attempted a barrel so nothing to add here.
As for the carriage are you doings field piece or navel?
I have a very good book called:"Round Shot and Rammers" by Harold L. Peterson. It has full page scale drawings from mid 1700's to 1860's. I just take the lenth of my gun tube and lenth of tube in book, figure out the math to get from the book tube to the scale tube I have, and find that number. Then copy the carriage parts from the book, enlarged by that number, glue to a poster board and cut them out. Now you have a scale pattern for your tube. Make sense?

RS&R is a great reference. But plans can be found on the internet. However, I advise buying the wheels. Wheel making is a skill/art/craft all in itself and not easy. DAMHIK! :redface: Good luck.

Yes, very true! The correct wheels can be the hardest part. I try and stay with ACW and 1/5th scale, so if anyone knows where to find good 11.5" to 12" wheels please let us know. I found one guy that makes 1/4 scale field cannons but he does make the odd 1/5th scale 24 pdr gun on a #3 carriage. He told me the wheels are such time and attention hogs he will not make the wheels alone, only with the whole kit.

Latest posts

Back