• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a cannon, a 5 pounder. Heroin Iron Works BBL. Where is the cheapest place to buy cannon Powder ? Is anyone supplying 3 1/2 inch balls ?

Usually anyplace online that sells black powder will sell cannon powder. You just have to specify which you want.
AND congratulations on the new cannon!

Don't you just hate the auto spell??? :youcrazy:

Anyhow.....cannon grade powder.....and zinc ball cast, or steel balls from a gravel crusher. Look around for places that sell kilns, gravel brushing equipment.

Welcome to the madness of owning a cannon!

Any pictures?
Tomtom

Schuetzen Reenactor Powder -- they swear "it sings" in cannon but I (would) only use it in comparatively small diameter tubes.

Some reenactor artillery units used to use either 1FA or 2FA blasting powder I can't remember which (one is much larger, but they used the smaller) in 6 pdr guns (about 1/2 lb for a blank charge in a full size 1841 model) and there used to be an explosives dealer around Coal Hill(?) that supplied 25 lb bags. I understand he died but you might contact the police down there, as he was also a Glock dealer. If I can find his name and address I'll try to make it available. He was well liked. Good shooting with your new tube! :thumbsup: George.

Croquet balls are 3 5/8" in diameter. Will your bore swallow those? That might be a cheaper alternative to metal ones, (or turning your own wooden balls) unless you plan on taking it in to combat that is.

Back