• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Powder Charge Methods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered some smaller round stock. Only had bigger stuff in stock here in the shop. Would have been hammering for awhile.

I shot a couple blanks earlier. With a twist of my mop, out came any foil remnants.

Along with the worm I need to make slow match and a holder for it. @Dale Allen Raby definitely thank you for that write up! I made a practice one out of thick welding wire earlier so I hopefully can make one that works the first time around!

That is good news. I am glad you posted the condition and getting it fixed. A picture someday would be nice.
It's ugly right now! Haha kind of a scrapyard special. I'm not sure if I'm going to even use this or just use what I learned to build a brass scale model. The recoil is ridiculous with 1.750" projectiles so I will probably scale back my bore size.

It's ugly right now! Haha kind of a scrapyard special. I'm not sure if I'm going to even use this or just use what I learned to build a brass scale model. The recoil is ridiculous with 1.750" projectiles so I will probably scale back my bore size.
Well, if you should decide to sell it... I've always wanted a cannon! Also, with that small a bore diameter, maybe you wanna use a 1/4" rod for your worm.

Years ago I was doing a blacksmithing exhibition at a local ren faire. A young man came up to me and asked me if I could make him a "cannon worm". Mystified, I said "I dunno. Maybe. What is a "cannon worm?" He referenced a patch puller worm for muzzleloading guns and I knew what he wanted. Went to look at his cannon, which had a two-inch bore. About an hour later, I presented him with a forged "cannon worm".

I think he swabbed the bore and fished out bits of aluminum after every shot. That may be what you will want to do. Aluminum is cheap, available almost anywhere and is non-sparking. Dunno what you could beat it with. Suppose you could go to a nitrated paper cartridge, but I'm not sure how safe that would be, given the charge weights of cannons in general.

Always wanted a cannon, but never could justify the expense or figure out what exactly I might use it for...
That's what I do. I made a worm out of a section of spring with the end ground sharp and mounted it onto an oak staff. I worm to remove the aluminum butt of the powder bag after each shot.

Well, if you should decide to sell it... I've always wanted a cannon! Also, with that small a bore diameter, maybe you wanna use a 1/4" rod for your worm.
I ordered some IMG_20221029_091711468.jpg1/4" and planned to go that route. I need to at the very least do a bit of contour work and build a proper carriage. Would like to get it on bigger wheels or possibly turn it into some kind of swivel gun.

That is a larger bore than my cannon, you must get a nice bang out of that baby. How much black powder are you charging it with?

I proofed it with 2.5 oz of 3f and about 2 lbs of lead. Normally I'm just shooting about a 1 oz charge with a 1 lb projectile. I made some cannon balls out of lead that weigh 1 1/8 lb. Going to remotely proof those before I feel comfortable touching those off!

If I use this barrel I want to sleeve the back of it so I can get the profile to look right. I do some machine work for an electric motor shop and saw they had some big enough bar that I could machine it all out of one solid piece as you did.

Yes it is serious boom! Haha

I proofed it with 2.5 oz of 3f and about 2 lbs of lead. Normally I'm just shooting about a 1 oz charge with a 1 lb projectile. I made some cannon balls out of lead that weigh 1 1/8 lb. Going to remotely proof those before I feel comfortable touching those off!
Well let's see, my Artillery cannon is 69 cal. and you're using about 10 times more powder and firing a projectile weighing 16 times heaver. I would concede you are well beyond out banging me even though mine sounds powerful. For sure ear plug time.

Well let's see, my Artillery cannon is 69 cal. and you're using about 10 times more powder and firing a projectile weighing 16 times heaver. I would concede you are well beyond out banging me even though mine sounds powerful. For sure ear plug time.
Your cannon out classes mine by at least a factor of 2000! Mine is like what would be found on the side of the road in a mad max movie...haha

I use foil, and have forgotten to worm the bore it does not go bang. Not fun when you have a large crowd of public around.
The only cannon i can not swab the bore is my field cannon(has a 3/8 inch antechamber) have to prime with 1/4 oz powder first. But i wait 3 minutes before reloading.

Be safe worm and swab the bore.

Back