• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon bollard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
There are two cannons in my town, a big one on the sea front, aimed at France on top of a Martello Tower, and a small one half buried in an old flint wall.

The Martello cannon is on loan from the Royal Ordnance and has no historic connection with the town, the little one has been there considerably longer by the look of it, presumably it was upright when they put it in.

seacan2.jpg

a common sight in spain and some parts of africa and the caribean!
The thong you also see in spain is original stone bombard balls used as bollards...

Squire Robin,

Thanks for the pics. Here is a pic of a 3 pounder barrel sticking out of the pavement in Rye, Sussex. There is a 9 pounder carronade sticking up across the alley way from this one. Both have been painted and are in relitively good condition. Rye also has a Martel Tower, but it is almost in ruin.

Have you visited "Firepower" the Royal Ordnance Musuem in Woolwich? I'd like to go there on my next visit to UK.

4hd1dv

http://tinypic.com/4hd1dv

My pic of the Rye three pounder did not come up so I will try another method.... ::

cannonbarrelJPG.jpg

Have you visited "Firepower" the Royal Ordnance Musuem in Woolwich? I'd like to go there on my next visit to UK.

For those not au fait with firepower, it's the web site of the ordnance cannon collection at the Rotunda at Woolwich (a converted tent).

They have a 17th century rabonet on original carriage with a micrometer elevation adjustment, gorgeous, slobber drool. Unfortunately I'd have to get permission before I could publish pictures on el Webbo.

Here's a recovered bollard which was bought by shooting buddy Richard, who owns the wood where we clay shoot, those are Richard's knees.

It didn't survive being half buried very well, kinda bunged up :(

richard.jpg

There are two cannons in my town, a big one on the sea front, aimed at France on top of a Martello Tower, and a small one half buried in an old flint wall.
I'm surprised no one here suggested knapping a few flints off the wall.
What is the purpose of cementing the gun into the wall like that? Decorative?

What is the purpose of cementing the gun into the wall like that? Decorative?

Carriage wheels had hubs sticking out beyond the wheel rims and they damaged walls, especially on corners.

The usual solution was a coach stone set in below hub height to push the rim away. Putting an old cannon in to hub height was a bit mean but effective ::

Back