• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon Blows Smoke, But No Bang"?? HELP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little practice in this morning, shooting blanks in my 1" bore cannon. First time I have ever used REAL BP. 400 grains of Goex FFg is quit impressive. Used two paper towels for wadding. Practicing for a battle reenactment this Friday. They want me to shoot 3 times to drive off the Missouri Ruffians. Should be very interesting. h4198

Load a slice of white bread on top of the powder. Also you could switch to a finer granualtion of pyrodex.

I never had any luck with Pyrodex in my canons. Pyrodex needs pressure to burn fast enough to make a bang. Grass has alway made the best wad for blanks, no mess to clean up.
A couple of don'ts for your canon. Don't proof the barrel on the carrage. Don't shoot dead fish out of it. Don't shoot golf balls out of it, they don't go strait. Do have fun.

I have recently come up with a theory to explain this :hmm: :youcrazy:

If all you have in front of the powder is air, then you need the blast front to exceed the speed of sound as it moves up the bore to get a boom.

Under the speed of sound it can push the air out as it expands.

Above the speed of sound and the air can't move out the way, it can only bunch up into a highly compressed layer in front of the wave and will push back hard while the powder pressure goes way up.

Back