• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Blows Smoke, But No Bang"?? HELP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried to fire the 1" bore cannon today. I first used 100 grains of pyrodex, and it just blew a cloud of smoke. I then tried 200 grains, and just more of the same.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to pack a tighter wad? I think I need a tigher wad, maybe more powder and a roundball packed in their??

Mule

Are you trying to make blank loads, or are you using a projectile? I have used Pyrodex in my 1" bore cannon, works just fine for projectiles. I use 200-250 grains, behind a steel ball with a denim patch. Have had no luck, using it for blank loads. h4198

Are you trying to make blank loads, or are you using a projectile? I have used Pyrodex in my 1" bore cannon, works just fine for projectiles. I use 200-250 grains, behind a steel ball with a denim patch. Have had no luck, using it for blank loads. h4198

I was trying to do blank loads, and it just wasn't exciting! The powder just burned, and blew out smoke! No report at all.

I think a patch and roundball need testing

Mule

The blank load I use in my 1" bore is 300 to 400 gr of 2f wraped in foil The 400 gr sure rattles the neighbor's windows.
Frame133.jpg

Andy

Hello, In my area BP is hard to get, so I resort to Pyrodex or 777. To get a good report the powder has to be packed with a wad of some sort. In a 1" bore I would use 1 full sheet of newspaper. Just make sure it wont start a fire.

Have fun, Wes

Sounds like a wad issue. A local guy that shoots cannons suggested something interesting. He goes to the local pool supply place and buys swim "noodles" to use for wadding. He cuts slices out of them and pokes them in the hole. You need to contain the powder positively so that it can pop rather than just burn...

When we are going to have a weekend, like the Forth of July, and want to do salutes, we use grass for wadding. We save up several bags full from the mowers, and cover it so it stays damp, and ferments a bit. Packs better that way. You can fill the barrel as far as you want with it, tamping it well. The big plus is, you don't have anything you have to clean up afterwards.
:m2c:

I had a 3/4" bore that I would use 240 grains 2f wrapped in foil. KA-BOOM!! Plenty loud. If ya want "Bang" you need to have some kind of wadding or packing otherwise you get "whoooosh"!!

You have to stand the cannon up vertical, pour in the powder. Then use some paper towel and ram it down tight. If you use a fuse, insert it first.

I would imagine you could use a duplex load for blanks, half Pyrodex and half real black powder, as long as you stay within the max load...

I wouldn't use a duplex load if you were pushing a ball or shot...

I was trying to do blank loads, and it just wasn't exciting! The powder just burned, and blew out smoke! No report at all.

Was the bore wet from swabbing?

It sounds like the charge was not all the way in the breech and became a "fuse" as it burned...

I agree with the others, use foil wrapped charges, at least it will be somewhat waterproof...

Was the bore wet from swabbing?

It sounds like the charge was not all the way in the breech and became a "fuse" as it burned...

I agree with the others, use foil wrapped charges, at least it will be somewhat waterproof...

I held the barrel up and poured in the powder, and packed in some newspaper after that. Clearly need tighter wad, and maybe change of powder.

Mule

Mule
I had the same result when I tried pyrodex in my one inch. Try real black powder probably ffg would be good. I usually use a small wade of dry newspaper and then some damp newspaper tightly packed for wading. 800 gr will break glass. ::

Good old GOEX is the ticket. Many of the substitute powders require a high explosive impulse for ignition. In the smaller bores, 1 or 2f BP works fine.

I suggest a simple card wad to retain the charge.

Mule brain I have a "friend" that likes to make reusable fire crackers using film cans. They always worked good using FFF Goex. When "he" used Pyrodex it was pretty non-climatic.

Hope this helps ::

I just read in "the more complete connoneer" that pyrodex
is like a slow burning powder. It developes pressure as it burns and pushes a projectile. Without a projectile it
just pushes the light wadding out the barrel with no pop.The
ctg grade works good with projectiles in small bores.(2">)
Original black is the best. T7 is a good fast burning powder, but beware, you must reduce charges by 20% just like
a rifle. T7 just needs a thin wad and you'll rattle the windows. And it's only good for blanks. A projectile is
too heavy, and the powder burn rate creates way too much
pressure. Maybe they sell fg T7 in your area, but I can't find any. Besides projectiles that heavy need a gradual
increase in pressure to fire accuratly.

Back