• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon ball skip??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about 20 years ago i was involved in some filming for a documentary which needed to demonstrate this. after a bit of practice with my 10 bore flintlock we swapped to a 4 pounder, it needs to hit the water at a shallow angle and to keep the first skip with in frame we ended up axle deep in the water and on reduced charges so the second skip wasn't too far away. despite being a long cold wet day it was good fun.
I have no idea if they ever used the footage.

I read somewhere that the ships' gunners purposely shot low to bounce along on the water in order to punch holes near the water line and in the gun decks. Land artillerists did the same thing in order to hit as many men as possible when shooting at a file or rows of enemy; a leg blown off was as good as anything for taking someone out of action.

I read somewhere that the ships' gunners purposely shot low to bounce along on the water in order to punch holes near the water line and in the gun decks. Land artillerists did the same thing in order to hit as many men as possible when shooting at a file or rows of enemy; a leg blown off was as good as anything for taking someone out of action.
Napoleon liked bowling English Squares :)

Skipping cannon balls was very common up to and including the UnCivil war at medium to long range, when/if the only ammo gunners had for those distances was solid shot. Also, it was a fast aiming method to aim for the ground when opposing forces were advancing and gunners did not have time to figure out the range changes as the enemy troops were moving.

Gus

First .36 cal rifle I built back in early 1970's , was curious how far the ball would skip. Fired the rifle down a perfectly calm glass like two mile stretch of the Monongahela river and watched the ball skip completely out of sight. Wasn't sure what to expect , but kinda surprised at the effect only 28 gr. fffg had on the tiny patched round ball....oldwood

Just a question here. I am wondering how far a cannon ball "might" travel after it hits the ground and possibly skips a distance. Reason is, I have an opportunity to metal detect a field about half a mile from a war of 1812 battle ground, and hoping to find a ball or two................................Chawbeef
Lots of variables.
Trees, brush, rocks, muddy or dry soil, angle of strike and departure, velocity, and so on.

I fired a 1911 45 at floating targets on the ocean. A bullet ricocheted off the water and I heard it whiz right past my head. My friend was standing about 8 feet away with a very frightened look.

We both acquired a new respect for shooting of all kinds.

Back in the dark ages and in my well spent reenacting (hello Treestalker) I was told about a crew that was shooting an original Napoleon tube into the Gulf of Mexico near Mobile, Alabama. The third or fourth round skipped about 4 times and hit a Coast Guard cutter coming to investigate, denting the hull. OOPS !! I heard this in the late 1970s, so it could have happened during the Civil War centennial.

Latest posts

Back