• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon arrows

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some more. More coming to me if you're interested. Thanks, Rick.
BCA2801Medium.jpg

BC25D11Medium.jpg

BCHSEN4Medium2.jpg

DE5C151Medium.jpg

BCHSEN4Medium-1.jpg

BCHSEN4Medium-1.jpg

Ricky, thanks so much for the additional pics and info. :bow: It's kinda funny, I knew about arrows (springels) being fired from early gonnes, but didn't have more than a passing interest. But since freek brought this up, I've become quite intrigued.

i have a couple gonnes to finish but when i do i am going to start on some of these they look like a load of fun i will let you guys know how it turns out

I had always pictured the arrows to be loaded like this:

154Qw.png

Not necessarily to scale of course, the arrow shaft would probably be a bit thicker in this sort of a setup.

I also found this picture of what appear to be some BIG gun arrows:

154Zr.jpg

Notice the incendiary head in the back too. Seems like these would definitely have been fully loaded into the barrel rather than by the 'nock'.

This is a very interesting thread. Thank you for posting the images of the springel. Any idea of the dimensions? Thank you for your help.

Have you ever seen any of these with leather fletching, possibly identified as crossbow quarrels? Purely hearsay, but I have read (sources now forgotten) of leather-fletched musket arrows for which the fletching was rolled around the shaft for loading into the barrel, probably with wadding underneath and possibly with wadding (tow?) to center the shaft (early apfsds!). I'm curious if there is any evidence for this.

Thanks for everything so far.

Regards,
Joel

Originally, I thought the same thing re loading. But the metal fletches and the binding on the lower part of the shaft seems to confirm original photos of the fletches being on the outside of the gonne. The evidence seems to be that the primary use for these gonne arrows was for incinerary rounds, which I didn't know. But it makes sense when you think about it. Rick.

Agreed! The history and use of these arrows is more interesting than I ever imagined. It's great being able to see photos of originals. I still can't believe there are any surviving. Rick.

I'll ask him for dimensions of his gonne arrow. And I'll ask if there is any evidence of leather fletches being loaded in the manner described above. I'll get back to you. Thanks, Rick.

ricky said:
Hello all. I can Post a bit of a lengthy explaination of cannon/gonne arrows as they were used in Europe, should anyone like to read it. Let me know. Meantime: Original Gonne Arrow....
BCHSEN2Medium.jpg

BCHSEN3Medium.jpg

Actually, if a thorough examination were to be done, I believe that it would be found that the cage would have been filled with charcoal and wrapped with some form of burlap, then dripped in either pitch or tar. Flames would flare up from the charcoal in flight, the tar or pitch would ensure that the flames would not extinguish on impact, with a solid structure, and the cage would collapse spewing the flaming material in a wide dispersal pattern.

CP

GBG said:
After seeing what heavy compounds and crossbows can do, I've also wondered about combining the lethal efficiency of a razor sharp broadhead with the higher energy from small charges of BP.

Note: non-vented broadheads on short arrows at high (300+fps) speeds can windplane and fly wildly off target. Be very careful in a remote location if you experiment.

You should try shooting a ballista, the ultimate crossbow.

im actually kinda shocked no one on this forum has made their own gonne bolts/arrows already!

this thread has got me seriously interested in picken up a gonne and making some bolts for it. unfortunately, im beyond broke at the moment and i still have one other purchase (a matchlock) before i can buy a gonne.

someone please buy/make or use your own gonne to try some bolts! it shouldnt be hard:

1. buy proper diameter hardwood dowels
2. tack a steel plate on one end
3. wrap the dowel in something at the base to make a tight fit to the barrel (leather or felt would work well)
4. make some fletching outa sheet metal
5. get inventive with the tip. (a lead or thick iron sleeve would probably work)
6. take LOTS of pictures and VIDEO for those of us who cant do it ourselves (me).

-Matt

GBG said:
Matt, here's an old thread, there may be more but I only remembered this one. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/192749/

Claypipe, my 200# compound xbow is a little scary to cock and load. Don't think I'd have the courage to try a ballista but I'd love to see one shoot.

now i want a gonne even more!

thanks for the link, i will mark the gonne down as a future purchase after i get a matchlock.

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back