• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cannon American Eagle Safe Failed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the gross error of getting a digital keypad Cannon American Eagle, should have not gotten digital.

Of course the numeric pad has failed so I cannot get into the safe.

Anyone been through this before?

There should be someone in your area that deals with safes or at least delivers them that can help you out.
Home and business security companies have people that can do what you want in their sleep. Can probably fix or replace your key pad.
Are you sure the batteries are not dead?
I got the mechanical dial-type of safe. Not as convenient as the digital, but it will always work, and I don’t like having too much stuff that depends on batteries.

I have a cannon safe that locked me out. I called their customer service and they tried to help me but it still didn’t open. They sent me a new digital pad and it didn’t help. I had to contact them for a rescue code. It will require $30 plus a notarized signed form sent to them via email. They will then send you a rescue code. It is a PIA but since then the code opened it and with the new keypad all has been good. I have the rescue code locked away in a safe place. Pun intended.

This is the reason why I got an analog lock on my safe. No digital keypad failure. Old school works, like muzzleloaders do.
Don’t fool yourself, the analog locks also fail, particularly if ignored and not given proper maintenance. I know of two that required drilling. One in an accounting company, the other at a gun club. Personally prefer the analog type, but they do fail.

I have opened a safe door by having the combination put in while someone else (using a rubber mallet) hit the door edge at location of door pins around perimeter.

Some electronic safes can be defeated by passing a large magnet around the perimeter of the keypad. If this works you will hear a click when the keypad tumbler trips. The handle should turn to release the bolts. This does not work on every safe but has been proven to work on some.

Update. I said above tumbler. I should have said solenoid. The keypad battery actually fires a small solenoid that releases to allow the handles to turn the bolts that secure the doors. The magnet energizes the solenoid. This is the simplest explanation I can come up with right now. It only works on a few.

Last edited:
I have heard so many instances of digital key pads and locks going bad. Does any one make an actual old fashioned non-digital lock gun safe? I checked around at stores, but saw none. Some times "improvements" aren't really improvements.

I recently went through this and was told by a locksmith to change the battery, take a rubber mallet and tap all around the door. Then take a flat board and put over the keypad and tap a few times with the mallet. Then enter the combination code. It worked on mine, thank goodness.

This is the reason why I got an analog lock on my safe. No digital keypad failure. Old school works, like muzzleloaders do.
Me too, don't forget besides the keypad the solenoid inside the door can fail. Sadly all locks can fail :dunno:. It took about 4 weeks to get a "factory approved" locksmith out to drill a failed dial lock on a family member's safe. Butchered up the safe but still usable with a couple of extra holes. It was a small piece that broke off something and landed just right jamming the lock up.
I have heard so many instances of digital key pads and locks going bad. Does any one make an actual old fashioned non-digital lock gun safe? I checked around at stores, but saw none. Some times "improvements" aren't really improvements.
I bought a Champion safe with a dial lock by S&G, a well known lock maker.

Don’t fool yourself, the analog locks also fail, particularly if ignored and not given proper maintenance. I know of two that required drilling. One in an accounting company, the other at a gun club. Personally prefer the analog type, but they do fail.
YUP - I had a S&G lock fail on a cheap safe and locked me out could not get in no way no how. I ended up drilling out the lock then selling the box and buying a new Liberty safe which are guaranteed for life of the original owner.

yeah I was worried about just such a thing so I spent a 2 weeks tracking down a safe that opens with a key

tried to find a combination lock gun safe but best I could do was a keyed one, but I am not ever worried about that keypad the new ones have

Back