• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

candy cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
about 6 years ago I was at a rendezvous in western Nebraska and a guy there saw the first small cannon I had made from a piece of Mandrel drawn steel. This guy asked me if I could build him a Candy Cannon. I had never heard of one so he discribed one to me. He said it was a large bore mortor that uses a small powder charge to shoot candy in the air. I told him I could probably come up with something. After alot of experimenting I came up with a simple 6 inch gun and a plug that would succesfully shoot up to 4 Pounds of soft candy about 50 yards. Come to find out the guy didn't have the money to pay me for it so I played with it for a summer. After the guy finaly bought it I decided I had so much fun with it that I had to build my own. I have spent the last 5 years perfecting the plug for the gun and can now shoot hard candy without turning it to sugar and wrapers. I am now in the process of planing an 8 inch candy cannon. I would put a picture of the gun on here but I haven't figured out how yet.

Here's one they bring to a local event.

LoadingCannon.jpg

So, now I'm curious. What do you use to "wad" the cannon to keep from incinerating the candy? Nothing tastes yummier than sulphorous chocolate, I know, but....

Thinking that an old acetylene bottle might do the job--small round end would almost make for a powder chamber. I've seen bowling ball mortars made out of them before, seems like it would be prefect for this sort of job!

:hmm:

I did a lot of experementing with the wad to get it to shoot hard candy. I started out with a piece of 1/4" hard board with 2" ridged construction foam duct taped to it. That worked pretty good for soft candy, but if you put hard candy in it, it would come down in two layers: a layer of powdered sugar with a layer of wrappers floting down on top.
After about 6 years of experimenting I now use that same base with the hard board and construction foam but have added a small disk of 16 guage steel on the bottom over the chamber and I have also added 2" of upholstery foam on top and soft leather flaps to line the tube to keep the candy from burning up.

Thinking that an old acetylene bottle might do the job--small round end would almost make for a powder chamber. I've seen bowling ball mortars made out of them before, seems like it would be prefect for this sort of job!

:hmm: [/quote]

The tube it self is made from a piece of 6 inch steam pipe. I had the chamber milled from a piece of solid 2" steel stock. it has a 3/4" bore and is welded dead center on the bottom plate. I load this with about 80 grains of ffg with a packed paper wad and put the plug I discribed earlier on top of this. With 80 grains you can launch 3lbs of candy about 1/2 a block.
It's almost as much fun for the adults in the crowd as it is for the kids (I think it's even more fun for me :))

Latest posts

Back