• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canadian hogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck
If they’ve had a chance to breed it might be like bailing a canoe with a thimble in a rainstorm
Oh they are breeding. There are big mother prints and at least 3 sized different prints. I think the boar probably does 3 or 4 sounders. Setting snares is easy. Block the obvious used trails and set the snare. Problem is you can not just leave snares. You have to keep checking them or take them down. Too cold. Too old. etc.etc.

Since 2000 i've spent thousands of hours hunting, trapping and just observing wild hogs. Hunted and shot 2-3 hundred hogs and trapped a few hundred more.

There is this thing about wildlife departments and wild hogs. A few states are having success in reducing wild hog populations. One would assume that other states would mimic their success. You would be wrong because a government bureaucracy is always on the lookout for reasons to expand. They "study" the wild hog problem until the situation is out of control, then hire trappers and helicopters to shoot hogs.

The idea that shooting hogs will cause them to "spread' is wacky. After shooting a hog or two from a group (they're called sounders), the hogs disperse and then get together again. One primary reason hogs in Canada and the US are spreading is because Bubba wants to hunt hogs close to home and hauls in some hogs. The other primary reason for the spreading of wild hogs is the hog hunting ranches.

In Oklahoma hogs are an invasive species. Control of wild hogs is the responsibility of the OK Dep't. of Agriculture. A few years ago new rules came into effect. Transportation of wild hogs for release became a felony.

Hog trappers who transport live hogs to hog hunting ranches and meat processors must be licensed.

The wild hog transporter must have a transportation permit for each trip. Each permit has the time and place of departure and destination and is good for only 24 hours. Each hunter at hog hunting ranches charged $25. No more hog hunting ranches will be licensed, some have closed shop.

At our property north of Elmore City i've greatly reduced the wild hog population by baiting and shooting little pigs with #4 buckshot from a tree stand overlooking the feeder. This spring i killed about 50. A neighbor killed 40-50 more.

Dead pigs don't become hogs. Tree stand is in the tree behind the feeder.

Ft7XeCtm.jpg

0kyekH3m.jpg

I’m east of Edmonton, and have not seen or heard of any in the area. I know that nobody around here wants them around.

I read some where that hogs have learned to burrow into to snow banks to keep warm and this is allowing them to spread further north.

Since 2000 i've spent thousands of hours hunting, trapping and just observing wild hogs. Hunted and shot 2-3 hundred hogs and trapped a few hundred more.

There is this thing about wildlife departments and wild hogs. A few states are having success in reducing wild hog populations. One would assume that other states would mimic their success. You would be wrong because a government bureaucracy is always on the lookout for reasons to expand. They "study" the wild hog problem until the situation is out of control, then hire trappers and helicopters to shoot hogs.

The idea that shooting hogs will cause them to "spread' is wacky. After shooting a hog or two from a group (they're called sounders), the hogs disperse and then get together again. One primary reason hogs in Canada and the US are spreading is because Bubba wants to hunt hogs close to home and hauls in some hogs. The other primary reason for the spreading of wild hogs is the hog hunting ranches.

In Oklahoma hogs are an invasive species. Control of wild hogs is the responsibility of the OK Dep't. of Agriculture. A few years ago new rules came into effect. Transportation of wild hogs for release became a felony.

Hog trappers who transport live hogs to hog hunting ranches and meat processors must be licensed.

The wild hog transporter must have a transportation permit for each trip. Each permit has the time and place of departure and destination and is good for only 24 hours. Each hunter at hog hunting ranches charged $25. No more hog hunting ranches will be licensed, some have closed shop.

At our property north of Elmore City i've greatly reduced the wild hog population by baiting and shooting little pigs with #4 buckshot from a tree stand overlooking the feeder. This spring i killed about 50. A neighbor killed 40-50 more.

Dead pigs don't become hogs. Tree stand is in the tree behind the feeder.

Ft7XeCtm.jpg

0kyekH3m.jpg
I think you need some company!

There is no snowbanks here- it just all blows to Winnipeg. Maybe thats why there’s no Hogs here

Went on a couple of hog hunts on horseback in KY/WVA. Rousted them with dogs and killed them with lances. This was 15 or more years ago. Don't know if it is still done.
An angry hog will try to come up the lance shaft for you.

Wild hogs in Florida supposedly descended from domestic stock ( and I have seen a few red ones), with very little true "wild boar" influence, but they reproduce so quickly I believe dominant genes may take over within a very few generations in the wild, which might only take two or three years, or even less if the feral hogs are breeding with the wild stock, as I'm sure they do. This, I think, explains why they are so typically black, lean, and remarkably nimble...

Evidently, the genetic markers that differentiate proportions of hair growth in the wild population in response to varying geographic climate wasn't lost to their cousins during the selective breeding process either. I would say this rather hairy variation of feral swine displays a remnant of a highly sophisticated gene trait selector that originally allowed their ancestral bretheren to inhabit such a wide range of altitudes and latitudes over the millennia, I do believe swine predate some of the latter ice ages. They really are survivors...

A friend in South Texas and a Boar knife I made for him, never carries a gunView attachment 184545
Some reported by Whitecourtand some close to Vermilion by the river im told by people who have seen them.Some years back some farmers were raising what they call razor backs from Russia.I think and when the price fell out the pigs escapted.There’s a place north of Edmonton that has hunts for wild bore also Marathorp ???

Funny to come across this....a couple of my friends recently reported sightings both east and west of Edmonton.

Not exactly the type of pest / invasive species I want to see get a solid foothold....if the folks in Strathcona County think the excess deer can be a nuisance when it comes to being hard on gardens and flowerbeds, just wait until this things get a foothold in the capital region.

Its a bit ironic that the government response to an evasive species to to let them live. :doh:But not that surprising.

Well, in Alberta they've been pretty good at staying on top of a wild species getting in (like rats)....but if it is a formerly "domesticated" species like escaped "wild" hogs (i.e. a non-native species brought in for agricultural business that can readily adapt and become an invasive species if it gets loose), well, the track record has been a wee bit less impressive.

Up here, we can't get out the chopper and machine guns to cull the sounders, either (illegal in so many ways)...heck, if a farmer sees some wild bacon, it'll take him 10 minutes to get the rifle out of the safe, trigger lock off, get the ammo out from the "other location" etc. and get back out of the farmhouse.

I live 10 minutes from Saskatchewan and 30 minutes from ND. We now have public awareness posters for wild hogs pinned up in every business around here. It is usually posted in the newspaper as well. I know they will be in Montana and North Dakota very soon if not already.

"The wild pigs in Canada are unique because they were originally crossbred by humans to be larger and more cold-hardy than their feral cousins to the south. This suite of traits has earned them the name "super pigs" for good reason."

"They are often crossbreeds that combine the survival skills of wild Eurasian boar with the size and high fertility of domestic swine to create a “super pig”

...in other words, farmers >>>purposely<<< crossbred Eurasian Boars with Domestic to create an "ideal" hog for the north. When the hog market crashed, many farmers just turned loose their stock into the wild. Time to stock up on more ammo!!!

Latest posts

Back