• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you see what I'm doing wrong?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started shooting a flintlock I had to learn not to anticipate the shot. What has worked for me for many years is that every time I step up to shoot offhand, right after I have my rifle on target and just before I shoot, I tell myself "this shot will probably be a misfire, so focus on holding the rifle steady and keep it on target." It sounds funny, but it has worked well for me to force me to think about follow through on every shot. When I do get a misfire, 99% of the time my barrel doesn't move off target. Exercising your arms and upper body will also go a long way to keeping your rifle steady in offhand shooting. I sight in all my rifles offhand because that's how I always shoot them. If I go to a rest they shoot to a noticeably different point of aim.
Practice, practice, practice!

Figured I'd give up an update. Recently picked up an already built Kibler SMR in 40cal, at our BPCR Silhouette State Championship, and spent some time shooting it yesterday. I only had some .380 roundballs and some pillow ticking, so I wasn't getting exceptional accuracy, maybe about 2" at 50 yards, but I couldn't wait any longer... had to shoot it. Not sure what it is about this rifle, but it's not difficult for me to shoot. All the issues I started this entire thread over are non-existent with this rifle. Where ever the shot breaks is where the ball goes and I was able to hold a tennis ball sized group at 50 yards off hand with it. I'm somewhat attributing this to the double set trigger. Strange strange strange.

Off a bench tells you what the rifle does. Off hand tells you what you are doing
I just got in to flints and the hold aim is extremely important.

I take what I've learned from archery to rifle shooting.
Form and follow through is everything.
Try changing your stance, keeping your body more perpendicular to the target, not facing it.
Left elbow tight to your gut and you'll have more support for the gun.
First thing I noticed.
Get the curved butt above your bicep. Bring the muzzle left, looking over your left shoulder at the target.
Count in your head one Mississippi, two Mississippi..on to five. Shoot on two but stay on target

I'm no expert, but here's my take. On an unmentionable the only mechanical movement prior to ignition is small compared to a flintlock. So on the bench no biggie, but offhand that hammer/frizzen movement is something you have to deal with. Besides that, an impact shift right in a right handed shooter typically means trigger squeeze issues and/or head movement. I don't see it in your video, but might be there on the range.
So if I was in your shoes I would start shooting as much as possible, but not off the bench, and not at paper. Try golf balls, bottle caps, empty shotgun hulls, anything but paper. Whatever distance you can hit them. You might be surprised what happens. Again no expert here, but I did teach marksmanship for my uncle for a couple decades once upon a time.

Well after reading 5 pages of this thread here's my take on the matter-

When you do video yourself shooting the flinter, position the camera so that you can see your eyes clearly. This is a video from a couple years ago when my son got his very first flintlock. Keep in mind, he was already competitive with his caplock. - He didn't believe me that he was flinching that bad. Video didn't lie. ;)

Some good points here, a video doesn't lie. BUT I recommend against the method the shooter is using on the bench because even if he's got it down, his POI is going to change when he gets off the bench, guaranteed. The recoil dynamic of a black powder gun is not the same as a modern one so modern bench technique can muddy the water. I've said it before and I'll repeat it here, do not rest the front of the rifle on a bag. Place your forward hand in the place on the stock where you will be holding it in the offhand position, grip the rifle as you would offhand and rest the back of that hand on the bag. Sit up as near as possible to the same posture as shooting offhand.

Next, if you have a set trigger, great, this comment is for single. The old "slow squeeze" technique doesn't work well for this. You're better off with a deliberate "pull" and by that I don't mean jerk, just move that finger smoothly. Follow through is everything. Keep that head on the stock, eyes on the sights and ride the recoil. You will never see your shot hit but once you get the timing down with the breathing and get the muzzle wobble predictable, you'll be able to call the shots impact or if it's a flyer.

There's lots of stuff that goes into offhand shooting and Natural Point of Aim is another. Whole books have been written on offhand shooting, but when you're reading them, bear in mind if the book was written with muzzleloaders in mind and especially flintlocks.

it all boils down to this, you are flinching. the flintlock is slower than a caplock or centerfire. and that is all it takes. dry firing with power in the pan is no way the same as firing a loaded gun. your brain knows the difference. i am almost 65, i have been a woodsman and hunter and shooter all my life in the woods of SC. when i started with flintlocks a few years ago it was a whole new ballgame. i am a crack shot with handguns because i don't flinch. with a flintlock, i flinched! the way i got over it was put it in my mind that i would not move! till i counted to 3 when i started pressing the trigger, of course the gun shot before i barley counted to 1, it helped me to stop flinching, now i don't even think about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back