• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can we see some Fowlers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Here's a fowler I built in '99. Rough, but I did use quality components: L&R Durs Egg lock, Pecatonica Long Rifle stock, NorthStar 20 gauge barrel, Ted Cash thimbles, Track of the Wolf components. Used one year (2008) and did get a doe with it. Plan on using it again during 2010 deer season.

Here is one I made and gave to Dad...
Rayl 46" 20 bore barrel, Chambers early Ketland lock stocked in cherry... weighs 6 lbs 2 oz

S6300127-1.jpg

S6300123.jpg

S6300125-1.jpg

S6300126-1.jpg

Very nice Roy... :thumbsup:

You headin' up to Maine for the Ancient Ones Spring Vous?

What does your fowler represent,English,American...? I see you used an "S" side plate, which may be of French influence? I'm just asking. You can't see well on my pictures above yours, but I also used an "S" plate I copied from pictures of French muskets. My triggerguard has an acorn finial like English fowlers and the buttplatte is a rifle style octagon to round comb suggestive of Germanic design with a rounded heel. The barrel is octagon to round. I copied no gun in particular, but wanted an American fowler representing various countries as some did as the gunsmith sometimes re-used old parts.

It could be classified as a New England fowler of sorts lol.. French trigger gaurd, sideplate, English lock with ever so slight French stock design. I need to take better pics of it, I am waiting to get my good camera back.

This was my first fowler, so I don't know how it would be classified, just fouler. :grin: 16 Ga., I've taken a lot of turkeys with it.
DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

Robby

All those fancy fowlers make my plain old French fusil which likes to toss a prb now and then look like the ugly stephcild :shake:

PB140199.jpg

tg said:
All those fancy fowlers make my plain old French fusil which likes to toss a prb now and then look like the ugly stephcild :shake:

PB140199.jpg

Na, you built it the way you wanted it TG, theres beauty in that. :thumbsup:

Yeah, those are some nice pieces of eye candy.I guess I have strange tastes, if I were going to make/buy another gun it would be a Brooks Carolina gun the higher end stuff has just never caught hold with me I guess.

tg said:
Yeah, those are some nice pieces of eye candy.I guess I have strange tastes, if I were going to make/buy another gun it would be a Brooks Carolina gun the higher end stuff has just never caught hold with me I guess.
I'm with you tg. I like the plain and simple. Some times its more elegant than the fancier stuff.

killer said:
tg said:
I'm with you tg. I like the plain and simple. Some times its more elegant than the fancier stuff.

This isn't about fancy or plain, it's about pic's of guys fowlers. I got and showed what I wanted and I'm sure you did too. Mine isn't just for looks either, it gets used and has brought home the meat more than once. :v

I realize all of the guns here are fully functional fowlers and to each his own. I was just stateing my opinion on the flavor of gun i like. We all have our own taste not one is better than others.

if you like the high end guns take a look at Torsten Lenks book on Flintlocks. mostly 17th 18th century chiselsed barrels carved wood some of the best ever to come from the best of the European builders.I like to look at them even if I do not care to use/have one.

Do .69's count ? This is a 1670 French Fusil Ordinaire that I put together with Rifle Shoppe parts:
IMG_0171.jpg

Robby very nice..are those wedge-barrel keys in brass?..Does it have a hooked breach?...Thanks....Dan
DSCN0620.jpg

Latest posts

Back