• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can this stock be fixed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting to believe there is a certain hub that these shipments go through where there is someone that does this kind of damage intentionally.
we need to compile a tracking chart and see if it can be verified. just too many long packages being mutilated.
that break can be fixed but the sting of it will always be there. i know.

I ship a lot since my work comes from all over the country, and when done, returns home. It's true that rough handling is probably the source of this issue, however, it's up to us to package well enough to compensate. It's just the nature of shipping - it's to be expected. Frankly, a long slender delicate object in a cardboard box doesn't seem at all secure or safe to me. Sorry, Rifleman. And it obviously wasn't.

I've been told by guys who work in the shipping industry, to pack for a 6' drop to concrete. I don't recall how many places in the shipping process an accident is likely to happen but it was at lest three or four. Someone else says he packs for the item to survive a drop from the back of the truck at 60mph and then catch fire.

Don't take the view that insurance is a good safety net. It's a royal pain - you DON'T want to deal with that. And insurance WILL try to say it wasn't packed well. Don't even get me going on the US Post Office. They're self insured and will play ugly and dirty to even prevent you filing a claim. They're the nastiest of the bunch.

Me, I'd ship the gun in a wooden box, or at least a plywood reinforced cardboard box. Get some spray insulating foam and make a form fitting case. Then, it might even survive the truck rolling over the box.

Sorry if my opinion offended you but sticking something this fragile in a cardboard box with its only protection being a sheet isn't very smart, one of the problems I believe on long packages is they get turned on the conveyor belt and hit something or nocked off, I have shipped several longbows and recurves and had a few disappear, usps says there gone, file a complaint then they magically reappear, I believe they end up under the conveyors from getting knocked off, and maybe the janitor finds them, who knows

View attachment 219055

I purchased this rifle from a forum member a couple of weeks ago. Everything about the process went great until I opened the box. It was shipped via USPS and it appears that they were rather rough with the package. The stock is curly maple and is broken all the way through. I am hoping you guys with experience repairing rifles can help. Thank you in advance.View attachment 219056
View attachment 219057View attachment 219058View attachment 219059View attachment 219060
Wood glue is stronger than the wood

I am starting to believe there is a certain hub that these shipments go through where there is someone that does this kind of damage intentionally.
we need to compile a tracking chart and see if it can be verified. just too many long packages being mutilated.
that break can be fixed but the sting of it will always be there. i know.
Definitely agree there are a few hubs that go out of their way to damage firearms.

I wonder about sleeving the more fragile barrel portion of the gun padded inside a section of heavy pvc pipe or conduit. Then packing the whole thing carefully protected as above.
I would not put my trust in cardboard. Plywood, heavy masonite stuff, and stout wood frame. All assembled with torx head screws.

I wonder about sleeving the more fragile barrel portion of the gun padded inside a section of heavy pvc pipe or conduit. Then packing the whole thing carefully protected as above.
I would not put my trust in cardboard. Plywood, heavy masonite stuff, and stout wood frame. All assembled with torx head screws.
Jim Kibler builds about the best shipping crate i have seen. But i received a rifle broken in half in a crate built just like his.
i for one am leaning towards schedule 80 pvc pipe padded inside.

Shipping used to not be like this. I would put my money on the younger generation doing most of the damage. I have noticed sloppiness in young peoples work more and more lately. Throwing out trash or spinning around in ones driveway. People are just slack in these times. FEDEX drivers will circle in peoples yard over their grass rather than back up.

Rather than music wire I would suggest threaded steel rod and pre-stained acriglass. It will grip the glue better. You can grind the rod to half-round if you want to get it flush. Get it flush BEFORE you put it in the groove though! One on each side of the RR cut out. Since there isn't.a lot of wood there you're going to have to go plenty slow to make sure you don't break through. . Use a harder stiffer type than the hardware store variety. titanium if you can get it. Most of the other comments apply, like using mould release on the barrel when doing the glue-up. Let the glue squeeze out but don't wipe it. It will chip away in globs once it's hardened. Since you MAY lose a little bit of finish in the process, I suggest you ask Rlifleman1776 what he used as finish.

Last edited:
Rather than music wire I would suggest threaded steel rod and pre-stained acriglass.

I have used both. I suggest music wire because it is hard temper and very stiff. 4-40 or 6-32 all thread is soft and may bend?? If you chuck the music wire in an electric drill you can spin it against a bench grinder or belt sander. That is plenty rough for glue to stick.

Shipping companies have become increasingly unreliable; ESPECIALLY FedEx. Over the last very few years I have had two items

never make it to my door while FedEx claimed they delivered them. In both cases, it wasn't porch pirates — because I was home

when they claimed they made the deliveries.

I was fortunate — as it turned out, because the honest citizens who received the items later dropped them off at my house.

I too have had a firearm damaged by FedEx and received some compensation from THE SHIPPER; not FedEx because they claimed the SHIPPER was injured, NOT ME — even though it was my gun.

It behooves all of us to take extreme care when packing an item for shipment, because some unhappy employees take perverse pleasure in smashing things up.

I think you’ve also got some tiny slivers breaking off which will complicate the repair. But it can be done and be almost unnoticeable and as stated above stronger than original. My advice—send it to someone familiar with these types of repairs. No place for amateurs! I also find it hard to believe this break occurred during shipment.

After magnifying the pictures and looking carefully at them I would suggest something.
Whoever takes the rifle apart should take a very close look at the wedges going through the barrel underlugs.
I have seen stress cracks like this before and a major contributor to this is not having enough rear clearance filed into the underlugs
to allow for stock shrinkage.
I don't know if that is the case here but it should be looked at.
Barry

there needs to be a video on how to box these guns put in the for sale rules, so idiots can box them properly, I add 1/4" underlayment to the inside of the box to give the gun protection from this, I have one coming and am hoping it is boxed properly,

Kibler has shown how to crate long rifles for shipping :thumb:
Investing in a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plywood, screws & glue would be a good start if your shipping a long-rifle. Factory built hard cases long enough to hold a long rifle can be very costly.

To securely repair broken fore-ends on long rifles I've inlayed & epoxied long strips of carbon fiber into the barrel channel.
Always apply a good coating of release agent to the barrel before tightly wrapping the assembly with surgical tubing while the epoxy cures. Epoxies can be tinted to match the stock for near invisible repairs.

Thank you all for the responses. It has given me hope that this rifle is not lost. Now I just have to figure out who to send it to for the fix.

That’s such a shame. I hope you get it repaired- it’s a pretty looking rifle. That crack really opened up into a gap between the two pieces and some wood is missing, too. I’ve seen repairs done on some really messed~up guns so this looks certainly fixable by someone with the right skills. Good luck to you 👍🏻

I am located in central Illinois, just west of Springfield. If anyone has any recommendations on where to take it, that would be great. If not, I would probably be willing to pay to ship it further out to have the repairs done.

Back