• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can "they" hear me? Do "they" care?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, curiosity has me on this one. Two years, two tours to SE Asia on destroyers.....stood a lot of watches.......what's a "dog watch" ?
I've had too many sips of night tonic to explain properly, but a dog watch was a shortened watch from the normal 4 hour RN watch time in the age of sail. I'm sure someone will chime in to correct if needed.

Sundials are pretty quiet and traditional. Documented back to the stone age.
For wearing, I have the upgrade to that. My "Yes V7" watch. They now have wireless charging so no more batteries. I like knowing when sunrise, moonrise, civil twilight, astronomical twilight, when we hit solstice, etc will happen. It can be a compass too. It can be set for anywhere in the world and automatically does DST for you. Plain time is boring. It brings a smile to my face when I see the sun setting on the horizon and I look at my watch and say "Yup, right on time" :)

Slight Overview (Mine is the bluish one at 0:42)

Compass feature

1678101461875.png

Steven Fricke, commander of Atlantis space shuttle Feb 2008 wore both his Yes Inca and Yes Tati watches to the space station

I've had too many sips of night tonic to explain properly, but a dog watch was a shortened watch from the normal 4 hour RN watch time in the age of sail. I'm sure someone will chime in to correct if needed.
Looked it up and it's a short extension of an evening watch, 4-6 pm or 6-8 pm.
Interesting.....I wonder what the emphasis is on the 4-8 pm watch is really about ? Most of us dreaded the "mid watch" (12-4 am) and the "4-8 am" watch.
Anyway.......Interesting thread on wrist watches. I've never experienced any game aware of my watch ticking - and would agree with any body movement whatsoever (turning one's head, scratching xyz, etc).

Downsized a long time ago. Don’t need both a watch to get caught on equipment and a cell phone with a clock.
Wife did buy me a nice watch that i wear as jewelry.

Navy here. The purpose of a "Dog Watch" is to cause a rotation in the watchstanders. The typical watch rotation is 4 hours on and 8 hours off. So standing a half watch means you do 2 on and 6 off. After that you're back to 4 and 8, for a week.

Navy here. The purpose of a "Dog Watch" is to cause a rotation in the watchstanders. The typical watch rotation is 4 hours on and 8 hours off. So standing a half watch means you do 2 on and 6 off. After that you're back to 4 and 8, for a week.
Hmmmm.....Two years on destroyers and I never experienced a watch rotation like this.

Many people use mechanical analog watches. I, for one, have never owned a digital watch. What I had and have on my person were watches that "clicked" between one and eight times per second, which brings me to me query, . . .

My hunting area is heavy, dense forest. Shooting range for white tail and black bear is within easy round ball muzzleloading distances. Elk are in the same general area but are thousands of feet higher and much less tolerant of disturbance — they'll disappear into the remainder of Lolo National Forest, to be seen perhaps three months later. Does the "clicking" of my watch signal animals, not just game animals in season, that something is in the area that is strange and therefore dangerous?

Such regular monotonous clicking will probably lose being noticeable within a short time. But how many legally "takeable" game animals are so alerted that they become invisible to my sensenses or leave the area?
I wear an old analog too, and have had many deer as close as 5' away, so no! They don't hear it.

Back