• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can someone help me identify this ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WESTTX

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first post and was hoping someone could help me out here. Picked up this 45 cal. percussion muzzleloader for a song. Fella I bought it from said all it was doing is collecting dust and rust. He said that he had bought it in the lat 70' early 80's, thinking he would get into muzzleloading, but never did. Has a beautiful walnut stock, and about a 30" octogon barrel that is about 2" in diameter with the last inch being round. The gun weighs about 17lbs, its heavy. The markings on the lock are N Ashmore and on the barrel it is stamped M.J. Hough. If anyone can help me out with any history or worth, it would be greatly appreciated.
I will get some pics posted as soon as I figure out how to post here.

Thank you,
Brandon

I have the photos in my photobucket, but still cant figure out how to post.

WestTX said:
I have the photos in my photobucket, but still cant figure out how to post.
Like this.

mjhough2.jpg

(hit quote and look at the code used, or go here http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/223970/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon,
Your rifle was made by Merrill J. Hough in Licking county, Ohio. He was born in Vermont in 1809, died ?. He worked in Granville, Johnstown and Alexandria which are in fairly close proximity to each other approximatley 30 miles east of Columbus. He was married to Sarah and they had 2 children; Almon and Eliza. This doesn't help you much with the rifle but I thought it might be of interest to you.
Mark

Mark,
Anything is great and I really appreciate it.
The only thing I could find was:
M.J. Hough worked in Alexander, Licking County, Ohio 1858 - 1861 and in Granville, Licking County, Ohio 1861 - 1865 as a gunsmith.

Thank you,
Brandon

Brandon,
You are welcome. You have a very nice rifle and piece of Ohio history. If you ever want to let it come home, let me know. We have a club up here, The Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors, and I know I could help you find a new home for it.
Mark

Mark,
Ya never know, one of these days I might. I would really like to get a value on it for insurance purposes.

Thank you,
Brandon

Brandon,
There is no way to say what the true value is unless you receive a bonified offer. That would obviously set a value. I would "guess" that you have a rifle that could generate $500-$750 depending on who the buyer is and how badly they want the rifle. Hope I haven't hurt your feelings or made you mad.
Mark

Mark,
Not at all. I really didn't have any idea what I had till now. With everyones help on here and Gray Beards, I have more of an idea. I may sell it one of these days and youll be the first one contacted if I do. I had a couple of guys tell me it may be worth $1500 to $2k, but thats just it, I really need to find someone that can really look it over in person and give me a realistic idea. To tell ya the Gods honest truth....I have a whole $75 smackers tied up in it and even a value of $500 to $600 value, I still feel like I hit the lottery. I do know one thing for sure...it came off my wall and went into the safe, CVA went on the wall instead, lol.
Thanks a million,
Brandon

Brandon,
You won't get wealthy if you sell her but you made a heck of a good buy. Good luck and keep me in mind.
Mark

It's a target rifle designed to shoot a conical bullet. The round part of the barrel is for a bullet guide/starter.

Mike,
Thank you for the input. Every little bit helps with me fully identifying this gun.

Brandon

Back