• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can someone help me identify this pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit30

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
I was given this and do not see a maker's name or anything. There are some symbols I took a picture of. It is a small bore possibly .36 cal?
I would live to get more info on It so I can can find how to break it down and clean it well.
Do most prefer to use real BP in this like Goex or is Pyrodex preferred?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20210222_195721.jpg
    20210222_195721.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210222_195932.jpg
    20210222_195932.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 20210222_195812.jpg
    20210222_195812.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210222_195643.jpg
    20210222_195643.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 155
Looks like an 1851 Colt Navy which back then only came in 36 caliber, but has been reproduced also in 44. It should say on the other side of the barrel - the side not pictured. And there should be more markings that will tell us what year it was made and who made it.

Thank you,
I'm attaching two additional pictures. The barell says Black Powder Only and the picture shows the same markings as on the brass frame. Looks like a "PN" and an image but I do not see any other markings or names.

Attachments

• 20210222_205857.jpg
    20210222_205857.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210222_205942.jpg
    20210222_205942.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 109
Thank you. So made in 1968?
On what I think may be a date? Is XX9 does this help?
Also, I know it is just a reissue. I am posting a picture of not deep but rust spots. Would I mess up any value if I sand it down and reblue for protection?

Attachments

• 20210222_212800.jpg
    20210222_212800.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 92
Hello,
I was given this and do not see a maker's name or anything. There are some symbols I took a picture of. It is a small bore possibly .36 cal?
I would live to get more info on It so I can can find how to break it down and clean it well.
Do most prefer to use real BP in this like Goex or is Pyrodex preferred?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The two stamps before the XX9 are Italian proof marks, the XX9 means it was manufactured in 1973. As for the manufacturer I'm not sure, the closeup in the second set of pictures) left side of the revolver is fuzzy so I can't make it out. Look on the bottom grip strap and under the rammer for any other makings.

Thank you. So made in 1968?
On what I think may be a date? Is XX9 does this help?
Also, I know it is just a reissue. I am posting a picture of not deep but rust spots. Would I mess up any value if I sand it down and reblue for protection?
Probably not, while some of the older reproductions are becoming collectables most are not.

I'm sorry, I found the name. It was covered up by a tag. It under the grips. Name is PR FIE Italy.
With this info, would it still be a date core of 1973? Would you suggest me sanding the rust spots of the barrel to cold blue for protection and would this fall under it not affecting the value if I do so?
Thank you

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I found the name. It was covered up by a tag. It under the grips. Name is PR FIE Italy.
With this info, would it still be a date core of 1973? Would you suggest me sanding the rust spots of the barrel to cold blue for protection and would this fall under it not affecting the value if I do so?
Thank you
FIE was an importer based in Florida, went out of business in 1990. They imported cheap and average quality guns from small shops in Italy, Spain, Pakistan and the Philippines, apparently they were not that well made. The date is correct and the value is negligible so if you want to sand and re-blue it then go right ahead. I've read lots of complaints specifically about the loose cylinder movement on the cylinder pin. This is not to say yours is trash, you may actually have a better one, don't know.

Also I will add that it is a .36, you can tell because the cylinder is not rebated for the bigger .44.

You say you would like to learn how to break it down and clean it well.. These videos are from Duelist1954 on YouTube. If you're not familiar with him, he's really good and can be trusted not to steer you wrong. This is a 2 part series on disassembling colt BP resolvers. Good luck, Justin.

Edit- Real BP like Goex is preferred by most, but Pyrodex or 777 may be more readily available right now and will work for you. You have a brass frame revolver so lighter loads are called for. Someone will chime in with a good load suggestion for you, as I don't shoot any .36

Last edited:
There's another guy who does a pretty credible job of putting out good info on Colt revolters. Just Google up Blackie bushcraft and that ought to get you there. He shoots and talks about those brass framed Colt Navies.

Yep, Blackie Thomas is very good as well. His percussion revolver playlist is extensive and he does a great job explaining things. I've watched all his videos, very knowledgeable guy!

Thank you everyone for the help and advice, I really appreciate it!
One last question on this. Can the nipples be changed out to nipples that shoot no.11 caps?
I can't find caps but was thinking on picking up the cap maker from .22reloader but it only makes no.11 caps.
Thanks again for all the help and looking forward to giving it a try!

There's another guy who does a pretty credible job of putting out good info on Colt revolters. Just Google up Blackie bushcraft and that ought to get you there. He shoots and talks about those brass framed Colt Navies.
Blackie Thomas is his name. Sorry to jump in.

One further suggestion is to check your local laws before purchasing the items needed to shoot this pistol.
Laws vary by state and some cities have further restrictions. It is becoming more common that a black powder revolver is considered the same as a modern pistol once you have everything to shoot it. This means that if your area requires a pistol permit and/or has hand gun registration it may be included and you would be running afoul of the law.

Back