• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can Potassium Nitrite paper cartridges be waterproofed and still be combustible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can Potassium Nitrite paper cartridges be waterproofed and still be completely combustible? They will be fired from a Uberti.44 cal Army repro. I have thought of using a beeswax tallow mixture on homemade Nitrite paper. Any thoughts?

I haven't tested it but I would think oil or wax on the paper would greatly slow down the rate that the paper would burn at.
It takes time for oil or wax to completely burn.

It takes high heat to melt any wax. I did the same with cartridges for my flinter and most of the tube came out intact after firing excepting a small portion. Depending on a cap to produce a hot enough flame to burn through may be iffy. I say dont wax them. Just my 2cnts

Why wax them, if your worried about moisture just load the regular paper cartridge's and then seal the chambers over the ball with some lube. Good for moisture resistance and good for helping powder residue soft. A double win.

Back