• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can not sight in new pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfwing82

36 Cal.
Reaction score
built a new flintlock pistol last week seemed like it was about 8 in low at 20 yards this week after raising the rear sight I am in the dirt . correct me if I am wrong .
raise rear sight raise point of impact
lower front sight raise point of impact
move rear sight to right move impact to right
move front sight to right move impact to left

I was going to file down front sight to raise point of impact

If you raised the rear sight, you should have to bring the front sight up to get the sight picture aligned, which should raise your bullet hit on the target. Since you built the pistol, the barrel is not touching the wood anywhere along the barrel channel. This could throw your shots off.

Yup. You got the directions correct.

Raising the rear sight or lowering the front sight really should have raised the point of impact unless it's being caused by something else.

One of the things that can move the point of impact is the shooter.
Changing the tightness of grip or stiffening the arm while the gun if firing can do some strange things to the location of the shot.

well...ya didnt mention what caliber yer shootin
and the load... maybe you are shooting too heavy a boolit and not enough powder? just a guess..

50 cal 30 gr of fff 490 ball 015 patch. patch look good. I am going to examine the shooter. thanks guys

Not trying to disparage your building skills but is the muzzle mis-shapened some how? I have read that improper coning of the muzzle or if the muzzle isn't plum it can cause problems with the accuracy of the pistol. Don't know if thats the case here but its a thought.

Don

flint or percussion and what kind of breech (Patent? Hooked? plain?) Unusual unless the sight is loose. Get someone who shoots muzzies to watch you aim and shoot several times, maybe they can see a pattern.

(I have a TC patriot pistol which is the most inconsistent shooter ever. High one time, low the next, etc. It is very frustrating. And I am a fair pistol shot with handguns that have fixed sights. I can shoot better groups at 25 yds with a smooth bore pistol. I keep it only because some day, I will figure it out. It isn't my most accurate pistol anyway, just a challenge.)

The statement that Zimmer made caused me to rethink it and Now I conclude that perhaps the problem is with the way you are gripping the pistol ??? whaddya think?

Are you shooting on a rest? I would never adjust sights based on off hand shooting.
Jon D

Thanks for all the reply's. Yesterday I spent 3 hrs at the range. after 20 + shots I started to see some grouping from there I was able to sight her in . going to try her again today

Back