Can I pass

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by 1eyemountainmen, Apr 1, 2008.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Apr 6, 2008 #21

tg

tg

tg

Cannon

Looks good, you will often adjust this or that as you go untill it all falls in place.i like to carry my horn as high as I can and still use it, keeps it from flopping and helps keep it dry as well, a floppy bag can be contained a bit by wrapping the sash around the shoulder straps if the height is right.

2. Jun 10, 2019 #22

nit wit

nit wit

nit wit

50 Cal.

The Ancient Ones Of Maine would be happy to have you!
    Nit Wit

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Jun 10, 2019 #23

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

No problem for Mountain Man of the fur trade era.
    I see you favor them new fangled, cap powered rifles. That fad will NEVER catch on!
    Get yourself a full stocked flinter, and a hunting shirt and come East and play. ;)

:D
    LD

4. Jun 10, 2019 #24

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

The second photo looks much better specially the pants. At this point I suggest you get out there and do your thing. You'll soon see where you need to change anything and you'll also find all kinds of things from clothing to equipment that you'll really need :D ( beware, that's a very slippery slope). Just remember that your outfit and your persona are constantly evolving but you have a great start.

"I see you favor them new fangled, cap powered rifles. That fad will NEVER catch on!"

I agree, that fad was really only popular for about 50 years. :)

BTW, at this point in my life it would be less painful to be scalped alive than to run.

5. Jun 10, 2019 #25

Two Elks

Two Elks

Two Elks

32 Cal

Yep you look good. I've been a mountain man "re-enactor/actor" for about 45 years. Yep, I've got the buckskin clothing from the deer I shot, and the war shirt with all the beads and ermine skins, but mostly wear what you're wearing for anywhere but in the mountains, and since most of our activities take place in the summer - on the plains - the "skins" and fur hat are just too darned hot. Your's is pretty much the attire I've seen, here in the midwest, in California and Colorado when I lived in those states too. A fur hat is great if you only go to the mountains where it's cool, but for most places and most gatherings anywhere else the fur hat is too hot - ask me how I know. You'd pass inspection at any of the 100's of rondys I've ever been to, and I've been a member of several clubs over the years in the 3 states I've mentioned. I think that people forget that most of us are there to enjoy the get togethers and friendships, and experience some of the feelings of the 1830's, and our outfits don't have to be perfect. Plus I suspect you'd see a lot of variation among authentic mountain men if you could go back to the 1820's-1840's. Yur fine now after the slight modifications. Also remember the mountain man was in the mountains trapping or exploring, and crossed the plains as quickly as he could. And in the mountains there are a lot of trees and brush to snag anything loose, plus when he bent over to tend his traps he didn't want anything dangling long and loose to dip in the water or snow. We're kind of a crazy lot - we enact the mountain man and copy his ways when he lived in the mountains, but for most of us we live and act here on the plains. The main thing is - just enjoy. I really don't think the mountain man spent much time running either, I think he spent most of his time walking tho perhaps stealthily (sp?).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. Jun 10, 2019 #26

biliff

biliff

biliff

54 Cal.

After 11 years, I'm guessing he's got it all worked out by now.