• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can I mix powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornintheussr

40 Cal
Reaction score
Sorry for dumm question but I'm dealing with black powder shortage here. I have FFFFG and I have FFG, can I mix it together in equal proportion and use as substitute of FFFG (I'm shooting colt clone)

Interesting question. I've done it a few times when cans got down to small amounts, don't recall any problems in percussion guns. Needed storage space. Always black with black. Shotgun powder, not pistols.

Not really, I mean you can do it, but the results won't be like what your expecting
The grades during process aren't sifted from a single batch, they are manufactured to the specific grade.
When folks try mixing grades everything will work just fine for the first part of the experiment, but the finer grade will settle quickly to the bottom of the can.
That makes a variable in the charge as the mixed lot is used.
The olde tales of a "special mix" being used for accuracy has pretty much been defunct even in small scale local rendezvous shoot's.

"Mixing" is different then a "Duplex" load,, but with the small loads of a revolver, duplex is nearly a mute issue.

How many pounds of the suggested mix are you asking about?

I have 1lb of each.
Or should I just use them separately? I used FFG in revolver with no problem but never used FFFFG. Can I load revolver with FFFFG?

Sorry for dumm question but I'm dealing with black powder shortage here. I have FFFFG and I have FFG, can I mix it together in equal proportion and use as substitute of FFFG (I'm shooting colt clone)
Personally, I would NOT mix the different granulations. In a revolver I would just use each granulation ‘unmixed’ and adjust charge based on POI at desired range. Mix the various granulations and who knows what you have or how it will perform.

If all the different Fs can be used in a particular firearm, then mixing different F powders together isn't a problem.

Volume is volume. So mixing FF with FFFF is perfectly safe. FFFF is finer so you're getting a bit more powder packed together. But not enough to make the proverbial hand grenade/pipe bomb/low yield nuke folks talk about.

Different sized grains will separate out. But even that won't be a problem. Just give the can a little shake before using.

What you NEVER want to do is mix different smokeless Unmen powders. Bad juju.

Last edited:
If all the different Fs can be used in a particular firearm, then mixing different F powders together isn't a problem.

Volume is volume. So mixing FF with FFFF is perfectly safe. FFFF is finer so you're getting a bit more powder packed together. But not enough to make the proverbial hand grenade/pipe bomb/low yield nuke folks talk about.

Different sized grains will separate out. But even that won't be a problem.
Yeah, your right, here's some more of the same logic;
Although you may dislike dill pickles,, they are still cucumbers.
Sweet pickles are cucumbers too.
But Relish is only good with mustard.
All cucumbers are good.

Well, when it was available from GOEX, I liked to use 'Reenactor' powder. It's an un-sifted/ungraded powder. Pretty much the same as you're describing. I use the same powder in the pan and bore, so it worked well for me. You could just use a Mortar and Pestel and grind it down some. Personally, using the 2F instead of 3F isn't a big deal. Just use the 2F as it is. Semper Fi.

I suspect that you have already done it. I once had two powders open at the same time and unintentionally emptied one into the other.
Yes I used it all. The results were a bit variable but it shot ok.

I can’t see any logical reason why you’d mix black powders.

Personally I use 1F in muskets .69-.80 and 2F in rifles and 3F as a primer.

I will ‘top off’ or ‘bottom off’ my paper cartridges with 3F for priming, however i don’t really consider that mixing.

The only thing I’ve mixed was 4F (a very small amount) in Tripple 7 for reinactor use when i ran out of the real stuff, it was a one time thing and I’ve never done it again, it just didn’t work very well. Since then I’ve made my own BP for reinactor use.

I've done it when I was shooting revolvers , but it's far less relevant when you're just popping paper targets with a couple Pietta brassers

I recently had a partial can of 1.5F that I've been slowly using in rifles, and a can of 2f and 3f with maybe a 3rd of the can left. I had them all in my range "powder bag" so I brought them all. I just dumped them all into the same bottle just to make it easy, and threw away the empty bottles. I didn't even notice a difference

Not really, I mean you can do it, but the results won't be like what your expecting
The grades during process aren't sifted from a single batch, they are manufactured to the specific grade.
When folks try mixing grades everything will work just fine for the first part of the experiment, but the finer grade will settle quickly to the bottom of the can.
That makes a variable in the charge as the mixed lot is used.
The olde tales of a "special mix" being used for accuracy has pretty much been defunct even in small scale local rendezvous shoot's.

"Mixing" is different then a "Duplex" load,, but with the small loads of a revolver, duplex is nearly a mute issue.

How many pounds of the suggested mix are you asking about?
What Necchi said is spot on. But, emphasis should be put on shaking the can/horn before dumping a measured charge as the finer powder does settle. I used to do this occasionally when a can got low. I would put different powders into my hunting horns. Very minimal loss of accuracy never made deer laugh at me.

Not so great of idea. Would be like rolling the dice on what mixture you would be getting. Would also think the shots could be slightly variable. After all it is not dessolved into a liquid like a cake mix.

Short answer is "no".

That said, there is no real harm in mixing different granulations, though you will likely get inconsistent results that will hurt your accuracy. I've never bought 4f powder. Never really saw any need for it. My flintlock fires just fine with 3f in the pan.

Now, no manufacturer will tell you that it is OK to do this, so bear that in mind and expect your mileage to vary, so keep the charges well below maximum.

Of course, in the absolute, you could do it without any danger, but you would necessarily have irregular and erratic shots: the granulations mix would be constant from one shot to another, and thus the pressures and speeds. This would be very detrimental to the accuracy and regularity of the shot...

Just a few thoughts on powder granulation. Unless one sieves or socks Goex powders of the past they are actually shooting multi-grain size any way from what I can see.
Swiss seems to be more grain size consistent though in full cans from what I can determine.

I probably won't mix powder again because now I've got a pound of powder that's basically a little of every F to burn up.

I have no reason in the future to mix again. I just got lazy and didn't want to pack up 3 partial cans.

Latest posts

Back