• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I brag...on my son?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pic below. First three shots out of his new, to him, .58 Leman.

At 12 1/2 he is a big kid...5’9” 175 lbs. The Docs say he will be 6’4...glad I won’t be feeding him then!

Bought this gun from a forum member and old friend. Being a lefty (my son is cross dominate, so he shoots long guns left handed) and having a 14.5” LOP meant I simply had to buy it for him.

The lock is an L&R. The gun maker was unknown. The barrel had been bored smooth and just wouldn’t shoot for me at all with ball. So I ordered a .58 slow twist, square groove, barrel from Rice (Super folks they are...can’t say enough about them!) Had a local experienced custom builder install the barrel.

That Rice barrel is smooth as glass on the inside. Really surprised how easy it loaded and cleaned. Left it in the white since that was common on Leman guns.

One thing about the L&R lock...it has a very short hammer throw. Shortest of any gun I have played with, less lock time is better. No complaints.

The pic is literally the first three shots from the gun at 50 yards. Load was a .570 ball, .018 patch lubed with Mink Oil over 70 grains of 3F.

The .018 was pretty snug loading. Will try .015 next. Otherwise couldn’t be more proud of his shooting at 50 yards standing with the rifle resting on a tripod.

We threw clay pigeons and played with a shotgun after those three as I wanted to file down the tall front sight (I took a swag at the front sight and used a marker to blacken it down to where I thought the right height was...I got lucky!)

FA9917B9-0477-4BC6-A5E9-5FCD169AACD1.jpeg

Holy shaving cream, Batman! That's wonderful! Yes, brag on him, but as the saying goes, if you can do it, it's not bragging! I'm afraid you might lose that rifle, LOL! Pictures and narrative should be sent to Rice and L&R and hopefully the builder will see this post!

As a fellow lefty shooter, I'm glad you did some bragging on him. Tell him fantastic job and he should be proud of himself! Immediately took me back to when I got my son his first firearm (flintlock). Cherish those days and the time you spend with him. I know I wouldn't trade it for anything. Children are the best blessing a man can receive in this life.

Brag away … you and he have earned the right. Welcome, young man, to a great fraternity of black powder builders, shooters, historians and all around good people. Polecat

At 12 1/2 he is a big kid...5’9” 175 lbs. The Docs say he will be 6’4...glad I won’t be feeding him then!

Bought this gun from a forum member and old friend. Being a lefty (my son is cross dominate, so he shoots long guns left handed) and having a 14.5” LOP meant I simply had to buy it for him.

The lock is an L&R. The gun maker was unknown. The barrel had been bored smooth and just wouldn’t shoot for me at all with ball. So I ordered a .58 slow twist, square groove, barrel from Rice (Super folks they are...can’t say enough about them!) Had a local experienced custom builder install the barrel.

That Rice barrel is smooth as glass on the inside. Really surprised how easy it loaded and cleaned. Left it in the white since that was common on Leman guns.

One thing about the L&R lock...it has a very short hammer throw. Shortest of any gun I have played with, less lock time is better. No complaints.

The pic is literally the first three shots from the gun at 50 yards. Load was a .570 ball, .018 patch lubed with Mink Oil over 70 grains of 3F.

The .018 was pretty snug loading. Will try .015 next. Otherwise couldn’t be more proud of his shooting at 50 yards standing with the rifle resting on a tripod.

We threw clay pigeons and played with a shotgun after those three as I wanted to file down the tall front sight (I took a swag at the front sight and used a marker to blacken it down to where I thought the right height was...I got lucky!)

View attachment 56777
Good for you guys. Shooting is something I do with both my boys. They're 30 and 34 now but we've been shooting since they're 10 or 11.

He needs to brag on his DAD for buying him such a cool rifle.
When my grandson was born the doctor told my son to "establish your dominance early, he's gonna be a big 'un". You're raising him right it looks like. Good on both of you!

View attachment 56777
If we have to brag it’s best we do it on the ones we love... he’s a fine young man with a good father. You are allowed to be proud of him! BTW, in my experience, it was the teen years when they’ll eat you out of house and home! Once they’re off to college they can eat all the ramen noodles and peanut butter they can stomach. (Keeps them homesick for mom’s cooking...)

I see that everything right has been accomplished and it's certain to get better. Thanks for another BP convert, brazosland.

Back