• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can Crisco Lard be used for Patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use TOW Minkoil lube and have found that it does not seem to build up fouling in the Breach area like other lubes I have used that are more waxy, and it doesn't seem to migrate out of the container.

Samuel said:
....and it doesn't seem to migrate out of the container.

That's really good news compared to plain Crisco.

The mink grease tin is huge though. It's a good bargain, but not something I'm going to lug on hunts. I'm thinking about scooping out some and putting it in a cap tin, then heating lightly to get it to melt and form.

Anyone melted this stuff one way or another? Problems? Precautions? Good idea or bad?

Mine arrived today and it is in a lot bigger tin than I thought. I think I'm going to scoop some into a little horn container I have and see if that works. I'm going to try to pack it in with my fingers, but it's pretty solid, so maybe it will have to be melted slowly over low heat. Small double boiler arrangement might work. Or maybe I'll just use my folding lead ladle--I won't be melting much at any one time.

I use TOTW mink oil for huntin',very accurate. I put some in a tupperware container with some patches, microwave in short bursts until melted.works in all weather.

I've used Crisco for range work. Seems to work great. Some of the folks here mixes bees wax with olive oil.

Just got some bees wax, and I'm wondering why a mixture of bees wax and pure canola oil wouldn't work? :hmm: :hmm:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I tried some unsalted lard today at the range just to see how it performed.
It is messy however it fine as a lube for LEE REALS BUT the breeze was blowing back tward me and I came home all greasy. My hair looked like I slicked it back with some hair tonic and I smelled like used patch.
My wife laughed at me.

Thanks for all the replies: They got me to thinking that just about any lube can be used just as long as it does not foul the barrel. One fellow mentioned that he used olive oil. Vegie based, good idea. Well if olive oil works why not Canola oil or Wesson oil? They are both vegetable based and should not foul too much. I tried out the Canola today. Took an unlubed patch put it over the barrel and dribbled a little all around the rim. Stuck a 490 ball on top and rammed er home. Well I got three balls in the bull touching each other. Works for me.

Well sure Eagles, you can use Canola - and it will work just fine.

But the thing about olive oil is you can get "extra virgin", and I just like the sound of that. :wink: :v

I don't know if Wesson oil has any corn in it. I know if you use corn oil to season cast iron and such it gets sticky.

I'm curious about the commercial mink oil that you buy for leather. I understand it has additives like silicone, but can it also be used for patch lube too? Are there any harmful effects to the barrel from that stuff? I've ordered Mink oil from track as well, but we have two large containers of this leather treatment stuff

I'm curious about the commercial mink oil that you buy for leather. I understand it has additives like silicone, but can it also be used for patch lube too? Are there any harmful effects to the barrel from that stuff? I've ordered Mink oil from track as well, but we have two large containers of this leather treatment stuff
I'm not sure if you realize but the post your following is from over 11 years ago. Just saying.

Back