• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Can anyone supply a list of states where a BP gun must go to an FFL holder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve heard that as long as you do not have the items necessary to fire your BP pistol, it does not have to be on your permit. I do not have the necessary items to fire my pistols….
I have learned to not go by what someone says they have heard. An earlier post advised to learn the law of where you want the gun shipped and go from there.

Illinois is guilty. FFL required for anything over 750fps including all muzzleloaders and most BB guns.

It surprises people to learn that California doesn't regulate black powder guns. One of the reasons I drifted back into BP shooting was that everything I use can be sent right to my house. So far this year I bought three revolvers, two rifles and three single shot pistols and they all came in the mail. Powder came via UPS but they left that on my doorstep. Same story with airguns, despite the fact I have an airgun more powerful than the Glock I carry at work, and my Walker outperforms both of them.

If you read the NY law from Sept 2021, it still defines an unloaded muzzleloading pistol as an antique muzzleloading long guns appear to be firearms now. But... The local gun shop still says no FFL needed.

As someone pointed out, the people who write our laws don't know anything about the subject. Too many lawyers in politics writing laws that the average person can't decipher. That is intentional as far as I'm concerned.

New Jersey has a new law that outlaws any gun, BB guns, muzzleloaders included, unless the gun bears a serial number that has been imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer. It’s a far reaching law that will probably be challenged I’d it hasn’t been already.

New Jersey has a new law that outlaws any gun, BB guns, muzzleloaders included, unless the gun bears a serial number that has been imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer. It’s a far reaching law that will probably be challenged I’d it hasn’t been already.
Wow, I was going by a transaction from a few years back where they had to ship a ML pistol to my local FFL.

Thanks!

Walt

Ky. says ML's are Firearms. So i did not know that, good to learn & not be ignorant. I guess they could require to be shipped by a FFL holder if State says so.
Where did you read that? I've shipped and received several in Ky and never needed to go through an FFL.

Here’s what in the Muzzle-Loaders.com FAQ:

Which states will you ship to?​

We ship directly to customer's doors throughout the United States, except for customers in New Jersey, Illinois, Washington D.C. & New York City, as well as all pistol orders within New York State and Massachusetts. In these jurisdictions, the law requires muzzleloaders to be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer, which we are happy to help arrange for your convenience. As a disclaimer, please check your local ordinances and statutes to ensure compliance with all laws.

Do the guns need to be shipped to an FFL dealer?​

In most states, we ship straight to your door! No FFL is required. However, certain muzzleloaders like the Remington 700 and Traditions NitroFire require a 4473 form and must be shipped to an FFL dealer.

You can immediately say, CA, NJ, NY, all those anti-states! There should be a list someplace, you'd think!
Please do some research before posting to this type of question. I live in southern California and in the last year have had 2 revolvers from Muzzleloaders.com shipped to my house also in the last year another revolver shipped from Midway to my house. Have also had 2 revolvers from this forum shipped to my house with no problems. California may be run by a bunch of morons but not all of us are the same. Black Powder firearms are not considered firearms in the state of California, so at least they got something right. So please stop adding to the confusion and posting things that are not accurate. Do your research

Where did you read that? I've shipped and received several in Ky and never needed to go through an FFL.
It's right here in my Hunting regulations booklet. It does not say you have to use a FFL holder. It says ML's are Firearms ! So i said the State of Ky. could make us use a FFL holder if they wanted to.

On another note, I have a 1869 Army with shoulder stock, is this covered under the new Pistol Brace law ?
Who knows with the ATF, but muzzleloaders are not considered firearms and do not fall under the NFA . This is why you can order a blunderbuss "carbine" with a 12" barrel with no restrictions. State and local laws very so keep that in mind.

Ky. says ML's are Firearms. So i did not know that, good to learn & not be ignorant. I guess they could require to be shipped by a FFL holder if State says so.
BP handguns in MI have to go through an FFL. At present, BP long guns can ship to you direct. HOWEVER, House Act 4138 that $h1tmer recently signed will require among other things, a purchase permit for both handguns AND long guns. Further, this new law, when it takes effect defines firearm as
"“Firearm” means any weapon which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by action of an explosive." so any BP gun, which are currently not a firearm by Federal and State law, will be subject to FFL transfer.

Even more....A red Flag law has passed which will allow "former dating partners" to initiate a Red Flag firearm seizure along with the usual suspects (LEO's, Medical Professionals, family, spouse,etc...) so be careful how you break up with your current dating partner!! AND-- the 3 arms of Michigan government being now controlled by Democrats have announced their next attack being configured to throw at gun owners is to ban BB Guns to those under 12 years of age and ban a.....t weapons -- whatever the heck those are

Last edited:
Back