• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone recognize the maker's mark on this vintage shooting bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMarsHill

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'll start by saying, I don't know the exact right term to use here. Shooting bag? Shot bag? Possibles bag? In any case, it is the bag I carry on my shoulder into the woods with my rifle. I was looking for a vintage shooting bag, and I came across this baby for a steal! Its just the right size, for what I carry now anyway. And I love the look! I hate the "velcro" closure, and I'm not excited about "Thompson cap lock powder" written across the front in sharpie... but I plan to remedy those the best I can. I restore old tools, knives, leather, jewelry and more as a side hustle and hobby. Hopefully I can get this bag in a more "traditional" state! This is a bag I actually USE, so I'm not overly concerned about it being perfect. I just want a sturdy, correctly sized bag that I can also enjoy looking at 😆. I have a question though... Can anyone of you experienced folks make out the maker's mark on the back of the strap? It appears to say "Amerbis" or something similar. I can't make out the other 2 marks whatsoever. There are no tags or marks in the leather etc. This is a unique looking bag though(the strap anyway), maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find the maker/brand name. The strap is heavy cloth of some sort and has a VERY distinctive pattern as you can see. I instantly got Revolutionary war era vibes, but that could be completely wrong 😆. To be clear, I know this is a MODERN bag. My best lead as to the maker's mark came when I found the brand "Ameribag". Its very close to what I can see, but I couldn't find a similar example in my extensive research so far. You can see the maker's marks on the back side of the strap in the pictures. I doubt anyone can actually read it, but maybe someone can recognize the brand/maker? I'm very new to all this and only picked this bag because I LOVE the look. It just so happens, it holds all I want and need for short trips to the woods and is still small enough to comfortably carry all day. If anyone has any idea of the brand, I would be indebted to you! I'm also interested in finding out if the fancy design on the strap says anything about the bag? Possible time period they were going for or specific country, military etc. This bag is vintage, but I'd say its not older than the 1970s at the earliest. I really have no clue though honestly, its obviously not an antique. My research has turned up nada... so here I am asking for help from the experts! This is my first post besides my introduction, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong section etc. I felt this was the correct place for this question. I appreciate any replies in advance! I hope I can get some more info on this cool old bag! Id also welcome any suggestions as to what I should call this bag as well 😄. My first guess was a "possibles bag" but now I'm leaning toward just "shooting bag". Id love to get the terminology correct if possible 😆. I'm really looking forward to seeing what ya'll have to say!

Attachments

• 20220405_011622.jpg
    20220405_011622.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220405_012037.jpg
    20220405_012037.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220405_012124.jpg
    20220405_012124.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220405_012117.jpg
    20220405_012117.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220405_012132.jpg
    20220405_012132.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220405_012057.jpg
    20220405_012057.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220405_011718.jpg
    20220405_011718.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220405_011744.jpg
    20220405_011744.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 50
Cool bag! It would look good with my Fusil de Chasse. I can’t help you with the identity of the bag but if it were mine it would be hung on my shoulder when I took my flintlock smooth bore squirrel hunting.

There are several threads on this forum about possibles bag or shooting bag. Those more knowledgeable than me say that ‘possibles bag’ is a modern term and that shooting bag or hunting bag is more correct.

Thanks Thomas.Bill92! Those rosaries have all been gifted from my wife's family over the years. They are very special to us! I appreciate the reply! PathfinderNC thanks for the info! I'm a history buff, but I forget about the F&I wars too often 😳 Guess I need to do some more studying! I have a buddy who is a reenactor at a fort here in NC... Maybe he can help me learn a little more too, I should probably see how he is as well 😆. Ill be looking into some F&I war reenactors bag makers, maybe I can recognize the mark if I see it on another bag! Ill be sure to answer my own question here if I can figure it out.. Youve given me a direction... and I'm gonna give it legs 😆 Thanks both of you for the replies, its truly appreciated!

Looks to be a contemporary home made bag. I believe the marks on the strap are Mfg. marks from the strap maker. My guess is it was a decorative fabric belt. I have found lots of useful belts and old leather purses at thrift stores that I have converted to shooting bags over the years.

Looks to be a contemporary home made bag. I believe the marks on the strap are Mfg. marks from the strap maker. My guess is it was a decorative fabric belt. I have found lots of useful belts and old leather purses at thrift stores that I have converted to shooting bags over the years.

+1

w06R0xBm.jpg

I think ya'll are almost surely correct! Now I'm going crazy trying to find the maker of the belt 😆 In my business and my mind, a marked piece HAS to be identified. Now I NEED to know who possibly made the belt 😆. If anyone has any ideas what the mark might say... I'm still interested 😆. I really love the look and feel of this bag! I'm glad I stumbled upon it!

I GOT IT! It is made from the belt of an old dress! The brand IS "Amerbas"... one of my crazy guesses 😆. Just thought I'd post the final outcome. And thanks for helping me out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-161223_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-161223_Chrome.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220409-161248_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-161248_Chrome.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220409-161257_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220409-161257_Chrome.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
I'll start by saying, I don't know the exact right term to use here. Shooting bag? Shot bag? Possibles bag? In any case, it is the bag I carry on my shoulder into the woods with my rifle. I was looking for a vintage shooting bag, and I came across this baby for a steal! Its just the right size, for what I carry now anyway. And I love the look! I hate the "velcro" closure, and I'm not excited about "Thompson cap lock powder" written across the front in sharpie... but I plan to remedy those the best I can. I restore old tools, knives, leather, jewelry and more as a side hustle and hobby. Hopefully I can get this bag in a more "traditional" state! This is a bag I actually USE, so I'm not overly concerned about it being perfect. I just want a sturdy, correctly sized bag that I can also enjoy looking at 😆. I have a question though... Can anyone of you experienced folks make out the maker's mark on the back of the strap? It appears to say "Amerbis" or something similar. I can't make out the other 2 marks whatsoever. There are no tags or marks in the leather etc. This is a unique looking bag though(the strap anyway), maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find the maker/brand name. The strap is heavy cloth of some sort and has a VERY distinctive pattern as you can see. I instantly got Revolutionary war era vibes, but that could be completely wrong 😆. To be clear, I know this is a MODERN bag. My best lead as to the maker's mark came when I found the brand "Ameribag". Its very close to what I can see, but I couldn't find a similar example in my extensive research so far. You can see the maker's marks on the back side of the strap in the pictures. I doubt anyone can actually read it, but maybe someone can recognize the brand/maker? I'm very new to all this and only picked this bag because I LOVE the look. It just so happens, it holds all I want and need for short trips to the woods and is still small enough to comfortably carry all day. If anyone has any idea of the brand, I would be indebted to you! I'm also interested in finding out if the fancy design on the strap says anything about the bag? Possible time period they were going for or specific country, military etc. This bag is vintage, but I'd say its not older than the 1970s at the earliest. I really have no clue though honestly, its obviously not an antique. My research has turned up nada... so here I am asking for help from the experts! This is my first post besides my introduction, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong section etc. I felt this was the correct place for this question. I appreciate any replies in advance! I hope I can get some more info on this cool old bag! Id also welcome any suggestions as to what I should call this bag as well 😄. My first guess was a "possibles bag" but now I'm leaning toward just "shooting bag". Id love to get the terminology correct if possible 😆. I'm really looking forward to seeing what ya'll have to say!

The strap is likely a commercial item sold for multiple applications.
If so, the maker of the bag came up with it from someplace and attached it to the bag he made.
Very nice strap, actually.

That bag could anything form an old hippie to someones orgainc only shopping purse. It does have a cool look for a shooters bag as well

Back